Skip to main content
Topic: Portal disapears  (Read 4104 times) previous topic - next topic

Portal disapears

A few days ago I made this change http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=2000.msg12550#msg12550 in sources/subs/Membergroups.subs.php and afterwards I delated and edited some of the membergroups in my forum. (name, icons, colors) I also created some new membergroups.

The membergroup, "Newbie" (wich I did not delate) is now named "Neuling", wich means the same in german.

There were no errors in the log by doing all this changes, but before I had some, by trying to edit the membergroups.

Emanuel wrote here http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1957.0 "Edit the post-based member groups results in a database error (fix planned for Elk 1.0.1)"

I did not notice this before... :-[

Maybe I should not have done this change in sources/subs/Membergroups.subs.php? ::)
Was it too early to do this?

Since the change in this file it happend twice, that I made little mistakes by writing a post in forum. The first time it was a picture with to much KB that I have tried uploading in my post, the second time - it happend today - was that I forgot to write the subject  by creating a new topic.

Both times the portal diappeared completly for me. :o

A few days ago I delateted my first account (Admin) and registered again. But it was still the same with my new account. But I can see the portal with this account, if I choose another Membergroup as primary group, with the Admin as secondary group.

Today the mistake happend with my other account (Global Mod as primary Group, Admin as secondary group) I did not delate this account, I was just changing the primary group and now I can see the portal again.

It is not possible to use an Adminaccount without another group, wich must be the primary group, otherwise I won't see the portal.

I have not tried to do this, but I think maybe this can happen to any other person wich is making a little mistake in forum.

What can I do now? Make everything I have canged as it was before, also the change in sources/subs/Membergroups.subs.php?

Will this work?
Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 10:05:48 am by Ruth

Re: Portal disapears

Reply #1

The edit you did to Membergroups.subs.php has nothing to do with the portal.

Just to see if I understood properly: you have your portal set to "front page", and you have some blocks on the portal/front page. When you access the forum with an admin account, you cannot access the front page, but you see only the forum.

I have an admin account on my testing forum, and the portal works fine.

Could it be you touched the permission profiles? (admin > simple portal > profiles)
This is how SP defines the access/visibility to blocks. It works pretty much like the normal permission system with add/ignore/deny.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele – The edit you did to Membergroups.subs.php has nothing to do with the portal.

I am glad to hear this, emanuele...

Quote from: emanuele – Just to see if I understood properly: you have your portal set to "front page", and you have some blocks on the portal/front page.

Yes.

Quote from: emanuele – When you access the forum with an admin account, you cannot access the front page, but you see only the forum.

Yes, now I can only see the forum with both of my two Admin-Accounts.
But I can see the portal again as Admin with my two Admin-Accounts, because I have changed my  primary membergroup to any other group. I would not  see the Portal without this.

Quote from: emanuele – I have an admin account on my testing forum, and the portal works fine.

It happend after I made those mistakes by writing in the forum. Before everything was fine.
Another person, with another account, also if this person is admin, can still access the portal.

Quote from: emanuele – Could it be you touched the permission profiles? (admin > simple portal > profiles)
This is how SP defines the access/visibility to blocks. It works pretty much like the normal permission system with add/ignore/deny.

No, I didn't touch the permissions of any existing and working  portal-blocks, nore the permissions of the membergroups in forum. I only created some new groups, just to see their online-colors and icons - and I edited the first post-based member group "Newbie".

There is one thing, I have tried to do in portal, wich maybe can be a reason. A few days ago I have tried to create "pages" or "articles" in portal and tried to add a category there for them. It didn't work, maybe I made a mistake there, there was something with membergroups, as I remember. But  I delated everthing there, what I have tried, because it didn't work.

Shall I deinstall the portal and install it again?

Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:13:48 pm by Ruth

Reply #3

I am using "everyone", "guests" or "members" for the blocks in Portal, I did create so far. There are no "Advanced Options" for the permissions in a portal-block? Everything about permissions is now in the "profiles"?

Quote from: emanuele – Could it be you touched the permission profiles? (admin > simple portal > profiles)

I did nothing there, have never been there before, but now I had a look at it. The permissions for members look a bit funny to me, not the way I would have set them for this profile. Shall I try to change them?

Reply #4

Quote from: Ruth – Shall I deinstall the portal and install it again?
I don't think so, it's unlikely an uninstall may change anything.

Okay, another small recap of what we know:
with the admin group the portal usually works (the other admin can see the portal as expected)
if you, on your account, have admin as primary group you cannot see the portal
* if you change the primary group to something else the portal appears again, even if you set admin as secondary group

I have a couple of things I would like you to try, in the meantime: @Spuds I'm running out of ideas! O:-)
1) Try accessing the forum with another browser,
2) check the error log if there is anything relevant.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Now I can use my Adminaccount without any other membergroup as primary membergroup. :) I can see the Portal.

The changes I made to the forums membergroups must have touched the portal profile permissions.

I changed profiles "members" and "everyone", they  look like this now:

Reply #6

But I could always see the portal with the "wrong" portal profile permissions, as they were before or the last few days.
The portal disapeared for me exactly in those moments, when I made a mistake by writing in the forum. I don't understand, why?

Reply #7

It was nothing in the error log about all this, emanuele.

Shall I try to make again a mistake in my forum? It will happen anyway. ;)

Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:37:25 am by Ruth

Reply #8

Both of my Adminaccounts are working now again. That one wich is only Admin - and the other one wich is Global Mod and Admin as secondary Membergroup.

I made now the same mistake as yesterday with my Adminaccount, creating a new topic in Forum, without writing a subject.

And the portal did not disapaer this time. :)

Reply #9

I guess it was a coincidence. Every once in a while they really exist. LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Its something to keep an eye on ... I've been trying to recreate the issue but without success.  The permissions function is new in this version of simpleportal so it may have some interaction cases with ElkArte that are not fully understood just yet.  I'll keep looking and trying some things as well.

Reply #11

You mean, that the portal blocks disappear for an account could happen any time again, emanuele? :o

The mistake continues until today, I delated my first admin-account a few days ago, and it was the same with my new admin-account. Before I changed the permission profiles in SP today, I tested again with this Admin-account, to use it without any other (post-based) membergroup as primary group. But I could not see the portal blocks. This account was "broken" ...or maybe the email-adress, because I used the same as before for my new account. Then I changed the permission profiles in SP and the blocks in portal appeared for me.

Spuds, maybe you could not recreate this issue, because your forum is running without any mistake?

I have still sometimes an error message in the log about this bloody "time" ::) Maybe I have to change something in the portal language file as I did in the english language file for the forum. ( I added a $txt['time'] = 'Zeit'; in the index.german.php and in the  index.english.php and afterwards there were less errors in the log or none errors.)

So I think, those errors about the "time" could also be a reason that the portalblocks had disappered for me, when I made a little mistake by writing in a topic. The portal permission profiles were not really wrong before, because an Admin is a "normal user" too and should have seen the "member-blocks", and nothing was denied there.
Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 11:22:34 am by Ruth