Skip to main content
Topic: Signature permissions (Read 3221 times) previous topic - next topic

Signature permissions

In smf/elkarte we can set some permissions for signatures. Those permissions are set for all membergroups.

what do you think about the idea to set those permissions for membergroups?
sorry for my bad english

Re: Signature permissions

Reply #1

UI-wise (i.e. how to present the admin interface for such feature) it would be a nightmare, because it would require a page for each member group, more or less like the boards permissions profiles.
Implementation-wise it wouldn't be too scary, though a little annoying I think, for example because of the usual problems associated to the decision: is the more strict that prevails or the more relaxed or should there be both options? (For example I can see both options: a group that has more relaxed limits because... dunno, maybe the more they post the more they are allowed to have "big" signatures, but also a group that has more restricted permissions because is a punitive one, maybe because the user misbehaved.)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I don't think it will be a nightmare for Ui, just a dropdown button. I attach an image for this

It will not be used to "punish" my members, but just to give more permissions to moderators.

Another alternative could be to include the signature permission to Membergroup permission. It is something I saw into XF (another screenshot)

Reply #3

Well, that's mostly what I would call a nightmare: have the same set of settings repeated over and over (either on the same page identified by a dropdown, or in different pages). :P

Anyway, that's mostly semantics. ;)
I guess it can be tested as an addon, and if not easily possible it would be another point to improve. O:-)

ETA: and my opinions aside, I think it may really be worth the efforts. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I just noticed an user option to close (disable) individual member signature on another script. A simply x mark as in case of browser window at the right hand top of signature. Worth considering, I guess.

Reply #5

Quote from: emanuele – Well, that's mostly what I would call a nightmare: have the same set of settings repeated over and over (either on the same page identified by a dropdown, or in different pages). :P
in a way or another those settings should be repeated if are for a membergroup
Quote from: emanuele – I guess it can be tested as an addon, and if not easily possible it would be another point to improve. O:-)
no difference for me if is core or addon ;)
Quote from: emanuele – ETA: and my opinions aside, I think it may really be worth the efforts. :D
thanks ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

bump.

is there anyway for signature permissions based on post count? some hit and run member are posting message to place links, and dissappears after that.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #8

Quote from: emanuele – Usually is the "Edit additional profile settings", that prevents access to signatures and similar fields:
http://www.ElkArte.net/community/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile
thanks, should i run any forum maintenance task to see the difference?

additional question: how to disable link in signature?
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #9

It's a permission, no need to run maintenance tasks, but it won't touch what has already been changed (i.e. users with signature will keep their signatures, just not able to edit them).
In admin > config > features and options > signatures
disable the url and iurl tags.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele – It's a permission, no need to run maintenance tasks, but it won't touch what has already been changed (i.e. users with signature will keep their signatures, just not able to edit them).
In admin > config > features and options > signatures
disable the url and iurl tags.

thanks. but i can't find those in the page you mention. actually I cannot see any tags that can be edited.

Reply #11

Click on the "Select the tag etc."
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.