Skip to main content
Topic: Lets lets add a home page! (Read 17994 times) previous topic - next topic

Lets lets add a home page!

Yes, a forrum is a forrum. But when you go on a site, you might - or not - expect to see a presentation, something that site is about, and easy links to everrywherre.

Can haz?  O:-)

Re: Lets lets add a home page!

Reply #1

Soooo...what do you want on this front page?
Something "static"? (some plain text with possible custom styling)
Something configurable? (i.e. possibility to select "blocks")
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Mmm... I still miss the home page...

Quote from: emanuele – Soooo...what do you want on this front page?
Something "static"? (some plain text with possible custom styling)
Something configurable? (i.e. possibility to select "blocks")

Prreferrable static, simple and possible to just use.

Reply #3

I like the idea as long as it's optional. For the most part a portal does everything that I want if I need a frontpage. So long as I can haz my portal hi-jack the frontpage option. :) Would be a great thing to maybe create multiple versions of. For example one frontpage could be forum centric. Another frontpage could be user centric.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #4

Feature Cat I don't recognize you...you wan something simple? :o
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

First step: rename the menu from Home to Forum. Then add the "about" controller and put all of those other screens there ;)

Reply #6

Quote from: emanuele – Feature Cat I don't recognize you...you wan something simple? :o

I think it meant for starters! On a related note, it'll be interesting to see if/what challenges a portal/blog/article system still poses on our codebase.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #8

Aha. Very cool idea. I did try several portals (TP, SP and PortaMx) on SMF 2.1 alpha some time ago, and they all mostly seemed to work (apart from a couple of minor glitches).

BTW: One thing I have noticed is that the old table for layout doesn't seem to be necessary with modern browsers. Even IE8 will handle portal panels made out of divs. IE6 and 7 will totally crap themselves, but so what? :D
Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 11:41:48 pm by Antechinus
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #9

Taking a quick look at it. Oooh goody. Inline css n stuff. Yummy. :D

Could do with a basic front end cleanup, but that's not a big deal.

ETA: For example, some of this seems redundant. I can't see why the display: none; needs to be on both elements, since having it on the parent should do the trick.

Code: [Select]
	<td id="tprightbarContainer" style="width:' ,$context['TPortal']['rightbar_width'], 'px;' , in_array('tprightbarHeader',$context['tp_panels']) && $context['TPortal']['showcollapse']==1 ? 'display: none;' : '' , '" valign="top">
<div id="tprightbarHeader" style="' , in_array('tprightbarHeader',$context['tp_panels']) && $context['TPortal']['showcollapse']==1 ? 'display: none;' : '' , '">
Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 06:05:35 am by Antechinus
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #10

Quote from: TE –
Quote from: TestMonkey – it'll be interesting to see if/what challenges a portal/blog/article system still poses on our codebase.
https://github.com/engelnyst/TinyPortal  :)

Awesome. I have actually been getting ready to start doing some testing on elkarte with TP after I recently updated the shoutbox to use better ajax. Did you have to do any big changes?  There's a lot of code to be fixed in TP with stuff like Ant posted.
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #11

It 's not my repo, just found it while searching for elk on github...
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #12

ah, I didn't really look at the name. Just assumed. lol Sorry about that. I think that is the nighthawk or nightwish or whatever his name was, that started the first SMF fork?

Reply #13

Nightwish started Eos Alpha - http://forum.miranda.or.at/index.php#c7 - and looking at Github, it was July 2011 when it was forked from SMF.

It was not the first SMF fork. It is the first fork that happened after SMF became BSD. A certain other fork actually branched privately in August 2010 but since they're not on Github it wasn't actually an issue for them.

Reply #14

Well what I meant to say was open source fork. You weren't, and still aren't open source as far as I know. Well, at least I haven't seen a license decision out of you guys yet. Did I miss it?