Skip to main content
Topic: The last posting from your IP was less than 2 seconds ago (Read 2359 times) previous topic - next topic

The last posting from your IP was less than 2 seconds ago

On an Elk 1.0.7 install, with attachment resize mod, posting 3 pix of roughly 5MB size from a mobile, this is the error message produced.  Reducing the "Time required between posts from the same IP" to either 1 or 0 makes no difference.  Attachment settings allow up to 10MB per attachment with a total of 30MB per post.  php.ini post_max_size is set to 30MB.  Anyone have ideas how to correct this?  My forums tend to be pic heavy with most users posting from mobile devices.   :D

Re: The last posting from your IP was less than 2 seconds ago

Reply #1

Does it happens to many or just few/one?
The code may of course be broken, but IP checking is usually one of the easiest problems to spot, so it seems unlikely being passed unnoticed for such a long time.
Thinking about the possibilities not code-related, I could think of: two users sharing the same mobile carrier that uses some odd configuration exposing the same IP for a bunch of users, the server being behind some proxy that tricks php giving all the users the same $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'].

Then, there is the good old IPv6 potential problem, because the log_floodcontrol table uses a varchar(16) for storing the IPs and that may very well break with IPv6 addresses... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Honestly, I figure I have something configured incorrectly or some other dumb mistake.  lol!  To answer your question it happens all the time with pix that large.  Smaller pix post just fine.   That is posting from a wifi connection, both at the office as well as at home.  

Another observation made since making this post:  turning the phone sideways so I can use the drag and drop feature (uploading individually) even the large pix post fine. 

Thanks emanuele.  The friendly support from the team as well as individuals here is what makes Elk a cut above the rest.  :)

Reply #3

Humm ...  not sure that could be causing this error, especially if its only a mobile issue.

That addon mostly "hot wires" the attachment form to allow users to upload the php max file/post limits vs ACP limits and then attempts to compress the uploads to fit inside the acp limits.

So its only with the file select as well ... very strange, will have to dig in to this a bit, unless emanuele gets to take a look at some of my jumble code  O:-)

Reply #4

emanuele is not the best person to debug attachments (especially if you are volunteering :P).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

OK, there is another error message popping up sometimes.  "Topic doesn't exist".

Reply #6

When posting big images? ???
And you didn't answer to the question if it happens to all the users, many, some, or just one. ;)

Would you mind sending me the data of a test account? (Normal user is fine, and let me know where I can post without being too noisy.)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – When posting big images? ???
And you didn't answer to the question if it happens to all the users, many, some, or just one. ;)

Would you mind sending me the data of a test account? (Normal user is fine, and let me know where I can post without being too noisy.)

Ah.  Indeed.  Lol!

Guess it's difficult to say All but several have complained.  I will shoot you a set of credentials when I get home.  Thanks a million!

Reply #8

Credentials sent!

Reply #9

Finally figured this out.  Turns out a typo set mysql wait_timeout far too short.  Definitely a mistake on my part.  Thanks for the help guys!

Reply #10

Typos are the best!! Always! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.