Skip to main content
Topic: ElkArte Features and more (Read 3878 times) previous topic - next topic

ElkArte Features and more

I am new to elkarte. I have forum based on mybb but by mistake my partner who is sharing hosting expenses with me deleted all the data. So, now I have nothing except a domain and hosting.

But I am thinking to look for other better options. I personally found mybb much more simple, may be its due to the fact I never used any other forum except the demo version of xenforo and phpbb which I hate personally.

So I have three options to go back to mybb or select vanilla forum or elkarte.

So, I am asking is there any great feature in the core of elkarte or something else, like live thread features, which uses ajax to post replies in a thread in real time.

Too I found small addon library of elkarte isit too new.
CODE IS POETRY

Re: ElkArte Features and more

Reply #1

Quote from: JunJoo – I am new to elkarte. I have forum based on mybb but by mistake my partner who is sharing hosting expenses with me deleted all the data. So, now I have nothing except a domain and hosting.

did you try to contact your host anda asking for backup? i believe auto-backup it's a standard feature in shared hosting. in cpanel check r1soft backup or jetbackup.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #2

Quote from: kucing –
Quote from: JunJoo – I am new to elkarte. I have forum based on mybb but by mistake my partner who is sharing hosting expenses with me deleted all the data. So, now I have nothing except a domain and hosting.

did you try to contact your host anda asking for backup? i believe auto-backup it's a standard feature in shared hosting. in cpanel check r1soft backup or jetbackup.

I tried but after waiting 20min I closed the chat As one is to chat :(

he actually over writted the hosting space with a new hosting package from the same hosting provider on the same domain instead of renewal.

CODE IS POETRY

Reply #3

First of all, welcome. :)

Quote from: JunJoo – So, I am asking is there any great feature in the core of elkarte
I'm never comfortable answering that kind of questions, mainly because what is "great" for me is never great for anyone else. xD (And usually what others consider great are either annoyance or fancy bells to me.)

Quote from: JunJoo – or something else, like live thread features, which uses ajax to post replies in a thread in real time.
This, instead, is the kind of questions I prefer to answer, because here you are actually asking about something that you consider important. :)
AJAX is used seldom, it is/was not the top priority of these rounds of development, the first priority was cleanup the code and make it expandable and maintainable.
In 2.0 I would love to see more AJAX around with some fancy features, but for the moment there is just a bunch of stuff done that way.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Quote from: JunJoo –
Quote from: kucing –

I tried but after waiting 20min I closed the chat As one is to chat :(

he actually over writted the hosting space with a new hosting package from the same hosting provider on the same domain instead of renewal.

may i recommend that you open a support ticket so you will not need to wait for chat? depend on the host some of them kept backup up to 30 days.
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #5

Welcome to elkarte! 

I used in the past phpBB, smf and I still use xenforo. They are all good software, if you ask here everybody will say to use elkarte, if you ask on MyBB forum will say to use mybb, and so on... I suggest you to download elkarte and install it on your host, or in localhost, play with it and if it's fine for your needs use it ;) do the same with the other software and choose what best feet your needs. 

For the hosting part I agree with kuking, try to open a ticket or contact your host, he may have a backup. I had a similar problem years ago and my host was able to restore a backup for me, the bad part was I had to pay a fee for this since it was mentioned in the contract which I never read. Better pay a fee if it's an active forum instead of starting from scratch. 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Quote from: radu81 – Welcome to elkarte!

I used in the past phpBB, smf and I still use xenforo. They are all good software, if you ask here everybody will say to use elkarte, if you ask on MyBB forum will say to use mybb, and so on... I suggest you to download elkarte and install it on your host, or in localhost, play with it and if it's fine for your needs use it ;) do the same with the other software and choose what best feet your needs.

For the hosting part I agree with kuking, try to open a ticket or contact your host, he may have a backup. I had a similar problem years ago and my host was able to restore a backup for me, the bad part was I had to pay a fee for this since it was mentioned in the contract which I never read. Better pay a fee if it's an active forum instead of starting from scratch.

forum just started around 2-3 months old so not a problem for me to start it from scratch, anyway I setup all and forum is running quite well now...I know you have to pay to get your data back but as of we are out of money and forum is not that much active so its good to start that again..

anyway thanks all for the suggestion :D

CODE IS POETRY

Reply #7

elkarte is too new and too have small team 3-4 members right?

I am learning PHP actually coding...but know and can manipulate code a bit...I am thinking is working with a forum helping a new forum like this with development as much as I can can help me or just I have to practice more and then do this...?
CODE IS POETRY

Reply #8

We are of course open to any kind of contributions!
There are a few ways you can contribute, the first question is: are you familiar or do you want to become familiar with git and github?
If the answer is yes, then you can read about at least few basic git commands (basically: clone, pull, branch, commit, push, all the others may come later if very interested). On that path, then you can fork the repo, clone it locally and start working.
If you are not familiar and are not interested in becoming familiar with git or github, then you can download the most recent version and work "off-repo", and finally explain somehow the changes that will later be applied by someone else to the repo (of course this is slightly harder for anyone because it requires some more interaction, but it's not impossible).

In both cases, you can start having a look at the issues tagged as "easy": https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aeasy
This is a collection of bugs/small features that do not require a deep knowledge of either PHP or ElkArte to fix (apart from a few) and can drive you gently into the "real coding".
Actually, some of those issues may have already been fixed, so even report they are fixed would be good enough. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele – are you familiar or do you want to become familiar with git and github?
I am familiar with github not much but yes worked on command line a bit as I have uploaded two three project of mine but they are part of designing.

QuoteIn both cases, you can start having a look at the issues tagged as "easy": https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Aeasy
This is a collection of bugs/small features that do not require a deep knowledge of either PHP or ElkArte to fix (apart from a few) and can drive you gently into the "real coding".
Actually, some of those issues may have already been fixed, so even report they are fixed would be good enough. :)

thanks for helping me out...I am learning and want to grow my coding skills....

thanks will try that... :D

dont know how much I can do but try to work on that...as much as I can...
CODE IS POETRY