Skip to main content
Topic: Unapproved posts seem to be editable indefinitely by their creators (Read 1965 times) previous topic - next topic

Unapproved posts seem to be editable indefinitely by their creators

It seems some permanently moderated (by warning level) user on our forum has taken to replying to topics, then, rather than waiting for their posts to be approved, they edit them away to an ellipsis within 48 hours. We currently have the edit-own-posts window set to 60 minutes, with a plugin extending this indefinitely for select user groups.

Re: Unapproved posts seem to be editable indefinitely by their creators

Reply #1

edit_disable_time doesn't apply to unapproved posts by design, because if the approval involves multiple back and forth of editing spanning over hours or days it would become a mess. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

So I guess I'll either remove this person from permanent moderation, or instantly approve their every post, to prevent them from rendering their posts useless and therefore not worthy of ever being approved.

Since I kind of expect:

1) User makes post.
2) User has 60 minutes to edit post.
3) User may never be able to edit post again after approval, if their 60 minutes are up.
4) If user's post, by some miracle, is approved within this window, they get to edit it without it being de-approved. Fat chance of this, since our moderation is so lax these days, posts may not even be approved within the first day or two.

Reply #3

I think you need something specific to your case... it could simply be to just remove the conditional that exclude the unapproved posts from the waiting time, because I'm kind of sure the current setup is the good one for the general usage, and yours is a rather peculiar situation that requires special rules.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

What we could come up with (and it may be useful) is "un-approve on edit", so that when a post is in a post-moderated board, if the author edits an approved posts, this goes back to the unapproved status.

emanuele moves to features discussions
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.