Skip to main content
Topic: Show most recent posts at the top (Read 4444 times) previous topic - next topic

Show most recent posts at the top

In SMF, under Pofile > Look and Layout there is an option Show most recent posts at the top.
I cannot find it into elkarte, was removed? It hasn't much sense to exist, but a member just asked about this and wanted to know if is still available or not.

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=141179.0
sorry for my bad english

Re: Show most recent posts at the top

Reply #1

It's easy to do on a custom basis anyway. Simply a matter of shifting one chunk of PHP. Could easily turn it into a mod too.

TBH I find having them at the top makes more sense, because guests don't get unread indicators and will often want the most recent content. Come to think of it, logged in members often want the most recent content too, so even though they do get the new posts function IMO it still doesn't make a lot of sense for recent posts to be at the bottom. :)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

You are right, but is not such a requested option, only one member asked for it in the last 2 years.

Most forums are acting like elkarte, so people which already used forums expect to see the last post at the bottom. Once I landed on a SMF forum which had this option turned on for guests, and after a couple of pages of reading without much sense I noticed the date and this "strange" behaviour. :)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

I thought we already have this as an addon somewhere?

Reply #4

Not that I can see. It'd be an easy one though.

Reply #5

The post below has an addon attached and also link to my suggested edit before it.
Quote from: emanuele – This topic has a list of operations to edit the template, but today despite having several other things to do, I'm in a coding mood, so attached an addon that should do the trick without theme edits.
Actually it's a bit of a trick because of the way the template uses id for styling, but I don't aim to perfection. :P

Edited. My bad. The above is for the whole forum. And it is certainly not what you are looking for.
Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 04:59:23 am by ahrasis

Reply #6

@ahrasis‍ I am afraid that addon has nothing to do with what I asked here
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

I already noted that when I edited the reply.

Reply #8

Quote from: radu81 – In SMF, under Pofile > Look and Layout there is an option Show most recent posts at the top.
I cannot find it into elkarte, was removed? It hasn't much sense to exist, but a member just asked about this and wanted to know if is still available or not.
It was removed 3 years ago and never replaced.
The changes to the code (to remove it) are:
https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/commit/d2f3fd01083d9b0fa75b4aaa24e410dcdd130728
if you want to reimplement it, you can just revert them (i.e. search for the green bits and replace them with the corresponding red ones).

I'm not a fan of it, actually, I find it meaningful in PMs (and only because they are not really a very good discussion system anyway and people are used to read emails backwards), but not in normal discussions.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

Oh you're talking about upside down threads. I thought you were talking about the recent posts list in the info centre. :P

Reply #10

Thanks for the info Emanuele, I prefer keep things simple, so I will not edit the files. If in the future more users will ask for this feature I will do it.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #11

Well, the code is there, if anyone wants to put ad addon together is just a matter of testing it a bit. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Do not waste time on this since lacks interest.  ;) I opened this topic just to be sure it was removed or not. Thanks
sorry for my bad english

Reply #14

are you sure this is related to posts order and not to privacy of custom fields?  ;)
sorry for my bad english