Skip to main content
Topic: What's in a name, they said. (Read 36355 times) previous topic - next topic

What's in a name, they said.

TestMonkey thinks 'Dialogo' is a good find for a quick find, but it doesn't sound good at all, in particular for English/American speakers. (not to mention Auss-ish) :P

Please do state your preferences, the quicker we settle it the better.

A few of the latest proposals:
Quote(02:50:01 AM) Antechinus: Conatus (Latin for effort; endeavor; impulse, inclination, tendency; undertaking; striving) is a term used in early philosophies of psychology and metaphysics to refer to an innate inclination of a thing to continue to exist and enhance itself.
(02:50:02 AM) Antechinus: CCS
(02:50:10 AM) Antechinus: Conatus Community Software
(02:51:06 AM) Antechinus: sounds snappy
(02:51:08 AM) Antechinus: good derivation
(02:51:19 AM) Antechinus: doesn't limit the project to just a fourm
(03:01:49 AM) Norv: You really have a thing for this Conatus lol. But it sounds so odd, even though I love the meaning...
(03:02:09 AM) Antechinus: Dialogo doesn't sound odd?
(03:02:15 AM) Antechinus: and WTF is a drupal anyway :P
(03:02:39 AM) Antechinus: anyway yes, I love the meaning
(03:02:42 AM) Norv: Yes, Dialogo sounds odd too... (in my mind it's Dia :P)
(03:02:51 AM) Antechinus: and I think it would be catchy once people looked it up

Quote(03:26:47 AM) Antechinus: http://wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com/post/11576476175/embuggerance
(03:26:51 AM) Antechinus: Perfect name :D
(03:28:30 AM) Antechinus: http://wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com/post/11495586540/ankus
seriously
something to get the bloody elephant moving
(03:42:09 AM) Norv: I like it!
(03:42:21 AM) Antechinus: :D
(03:42:32 AM) Antechinus: Keeping a software project moving in the right direction is much like persuading an elephant to do it
It's short and catchy, and no companies or projects seem to be using it
And people wil crack up once they get the meaning
(03:42:48 AM) Antechinus: ACS - Ankus Community Sooftware

Hey I think Ant hit the jackpot this time.
I really like it. With or without the meaning (it's damn fun), it's a good name to me.

Github ref:
https://github.com/Spuds/Dialogo/issues/9

All thoughts welcome!
Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 04:04:19 pm by TestMonkey
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: What's in a name, they said.

Reply #1

Antechinus approves of this initiative  8)

ETA: I mean Ankus, not Embuggerance (although that also has its own appeal).
Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:10:18 pm by Antechinus
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

Certainly a good question! I'll be looking at word lists all day now.

Reply #3

Been there, done that.

Reply #4

fossbb.com and flossbb.com are available?

As in "Free and open-source software (F/OSS, FOSS) or free/libre/open-source software (FLOSS)"

Floss is quite a nice name too?

Reply #5

Quote from: Trekkie101 – fossbb.com and flossbb.com are available?

As in "Free and open-source software (F/OSS, FOSS) or free/libre/open-source software (FLOSS)"

Noez, not nice as a name...  it sounds cheesy to me, dunno why. But I'm not against some name with roots in these terms... just this is too much, perhaps we can tone it down, i.e. only use 'open' or 'free' or something...?

TBH dunno about Ankus either. It's a new day, and I have new thoughts; gotta keep them fresh after all. :P But I could live with it. With no meaning assigned, that works too. (what's a 'google' again?)

Re: meaning.
As food for thought for you, I'd add that indeed Trekkie hit something there, a meaning with roots in 'open' as it should be... and, on the other hand, I still think that a relation to 'community' is appropriate too. In the sense of community building, but not only as a software that extends the bounds of a forum, but also in the sense of a true community project.

TestMonkey has no inspiration, and no beer.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #6

Incidentally OpenCommunityForum (OCF) is available but it's a bit lame.

I liked the whole Joomla name thing, and Ankus isn't too bad. Phoenix was good when the SMF-Friends site popped up.

Reply #7

Quote from: Trekkie101 – fossbb.com and flossbb.com are available?

Umm, not really. Sounds totally insubstantial.

Reply #8

I like the concept behind the name flossbb etc but it does not seem to work as a project name ....

Ankus is not to bad as a name, but for most its just a name with no tie in to what it is. But to the points neither does google or joomla, but they had uniqueness, in search, I suppose.

Dialogo is not bad either, just not memorable and a bit plain.

We could jazz it up with ... Zombie Apocalypse ... or .... SMTA "Sick Minds Think Alike" ... OK maybe not :P

Or have some fun with Cornish names, you can always use those since they are fun
Keskomunya ... Cornish for communicate
Digabester .. Cornish for Liberty

Or
OpenForo going along the free/open line ....

Still looking for inspiration !
Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 06:31:19 pm by Spuds

Reply #9

Quote from: TestMonkey –
 TestMonkey thinks 'Dialogo' is a good find for a quick find, but it doesn't sound good at all, in particular for English/American speakers. (not to mention Auss-ish) :P
Those are just dumb languages. :P

Quote(02:50:01 AM) Antechinus: Conatus (Latin for effort; endeavor; impulse, inclination, tendency; undertaking; striving) is a term used in early philosophies of psychology and metaphysics to refer to an innate inclination of a thing to continue to exist and enhance itself.
Just a note: in Italian conato (and so it would be "conatus") is mainly associated with conato di vomito. Not really attractive...I wouldn't use something with such a name... :P

In that case I would prefer Ankh. (and no, it has nothing to do with the hieroglyphic ;D)

emanuele is too predictable. :P
Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 04:54:11 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: Spuds – Or have some fun with Cornish names, you can always use those since they are fun
Keskomunya ... Cornish for communicate

Love it! It can be considered too long to remember... ? :-\ But it's so cool, and, IMO, easy to pronounce (or to map in one's head)! 'munya' reminds me of 'world' (monde, mundo), and it all sounds to me as 'world of communication'.

kuwasiliana (http://translate.google.com/#en/sw/communicate )
jamii (http://translate.google.com/#en/sw/community )
jukwaa (http://translate.google.com/#en/sw/forum )
wazi jamii (http://translate.google.com/#en/sw/open%20community )

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote(03:28:30 AM) Antechinus: http://wickedcoolwords.tumblr.com/post/11495586540/ankus
seriously
In that case I would prefer Ankh. (and no, it has nothing to do with the hieroglyphic ;D)

emanuele is too predictable. :P
Likes. Oh, there's also a game - I'd have to try it if you choose this name.  :-[ :D
Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 10:23:11 am by TestMonkey

Reply #11

Quote from: Spuds – Keskomunya ... Cornish for communicate
I totally love that one. I think it's a winner.

I don't think it's too long to remember. Four syllables is fine (how long is simple machines?) and the spelling is phonetic, so it'll be easy to get near enough on a search. It has a good feel to it. Sounds cool. Nobody else is using it. Bloody brilliant. Let's do it.
Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 08:34:37 pm by Antechinus

Reply #12

It's a bit long for memorability, no?

Reply #13

No, not at all, unless you have Alzheimer's. It's already stuck in my memory. It's catchy.

Try this: Simple Machines Forum.

Which is longer?

Reply #14

Simple Machines is memorable as fairly simple English words, also forum is a descriptive word.

Keskomunya is completely forgettable imo.

Jamii is not bad?