Skip to main content
Topic: Can't connect to the database (Read 2005 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't connect to the database

Could use a little help here. I had Elkarte running on another website awhile back and I didn't have this problem.

I just purchased another domain and started building my site through iPage. I've created the database, assigned a user name and all that stuff for it. It just fails during installation at the database input window. All my information is correct. I've re-installed the software twice, ElkArte_v1-0-10_install. I just tried a fresh install using Elkarte-development.zip with the same results.

The new database is named elkarte and my user and pass are correct. I just can't get past this window in the installation!

Any ideas?

Re: Can't connect to the database

Reply #1

Hey Bodacious.  Hope you are well. Dumb question perhaps. Does your database have proper permissions?

Reply #2

Hey thanks for the response, and hope all is well with you also!

This is a new site and I have only made two databases for it, so far. One for Wordpress and the other one for Elkarte. I have myself as the Admin on both of the databases w/all permissions granted.

Interestingly, I had the same problem when I first installed Wordpress. The way I finally fixed that was by editing a file called wp_config.php. I manually inputed my database info to it, reuploaded this file to site and the installation proceeded without a hitch.

I haven't been successful in getting this method to work with Elkarte.

Reply #3

I got it working. It wouldn't except 'localhost' so (tried this before) I used the iPage sever name and it installed. I must have misspelled it the first few times according to there tech, lol. They're a pretty good and cheap(er) service, but them guys act lost when it comes to using a ftp to install software.

Thanks guys!

Reply #4

Good deal! Glad it's working. Kudos on the followup. It may help someone down the road.   ;)