Skip to main content
Topic: I drifted away...and I am sorry for it.  (Read 2399 times) previous topic - next topic

I drifted away...and I am sorry for it.

I tried "again" another forum software I've used in the past on one of my websites to see if anything has changed with it.  The name of the forum software we'll call it "Chocolate" if you get my drift?
Well, after leaving the forum sit for a month because I got busy with other internet projects, I came back to it today to see if I had any new members and "bam!" as they say...overrun by spam.

I then think to myself, let me check another forum made with Elkarte that I haven't checked in probably more then a month and not one spam message, actually had a few new members sign up.   Way to go Elk!

So, project for the weekend is to re-install Elk  and rebuild the forum, where "Chocolate" used to be....
Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 01:11:05 pm by elk_is_cool

Re: I drifted away...and I am sorry for it.

Reply #1

I wonder if Chocolate was MyBB they are notorious for getting slammed when spam in the beginning of a forum. 

Reply #2

oh i thought chocolate is smf because it's browny color. haha. :D
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #3

smf is blue someone may have tried to choke it :P

live627 cannot run away fast enough

(no really its default theme color is blue, notwithstanding the logo)
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #4

Every forum will get thousands of spam messages if installed without any spam protection, even paid forums. 
A few years ago I installed a copy of smf into a separate folder to help a member from sm.org, no spam protection was applied, and after 3 months the size of database became 1.9 GB. There were members with more than 30.000 messages. The link of the forum was only published in a topic at sm.org 
sorry for my bad english