Skip to main content
Topic: Simple Audio Video Embedder (Read 8388 times) previous topic - next topic

Simple Audio Video Embedder

Hey Guys,

first of all many congrats for the good work !
I'm from Germany and hosting for a while SMF-Forums.
I have installed the Elkarte 1.0 beta2 on my server to test. It was very easy and simple like SMF !
Elkarte has good new features. I'm impressed !
The performance of the beta is not so good, but this will fixed in future releases i think  ;)

Ok, here are the main point of the post:
Can you add a feature like the Simple Audio Video Embedder Mod from SMF ?
This is a great future and for many, many users in different forums a must have !
The feature to embed videos from many plattforms with pasting only the link in  the post is very good !

Can you add this to the main functions of Elkarte ?
-- M4rkus

Re: Simple Audio Video Embedder

Reply #1

Performance is probably server  and Settings related.
1) enable CSS & Javascript minification in ElkArte
2) disable hostname lookups in ElkArte
3) use a caching mechanism, if available (XCache, Memcached ..)
4) try to switch between normal and persistent database Connections (some Hosts don't like persistent mysql Connections)

Elk should be faster than SMF (from my personal experience).

We do use an integrated video embedding, but currently only Youtube is supported..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #2

That the performance is server and settings related is to be clear.

But when all is set in the Elkarte Beta like in my SMF 2.0.7 Production System on the same server and the Elkarte is slower what can i wrote ?

In my own opinion the Elkarte Beta is slower and i'm not a greenhorn in selfhosting forums.
-- M4rkus

Reply #3

Quote from: TE – We do use an integrated video embedding, but currently only Youtube is supported..

With pasting only the raw youtube url ?
-- M4rkus

Reply #4

Quote from: M4rkus – But when all is set in the Elkarte Beta like in my SMF 2.0.7 Production System on the same server and the Elkarte is slower what can i wrote ?

In my own opinion the Elkarte Beta is slower and i'm not a greenhorn in selfhosting forums.
That's interesting.
Don't worry, I'm not in "defensive mode", I really love comparison and the results, either good or bad! :)

I don't remember any change that could impact negatively on performances, so I'd need some more indications on where you see it slower, for example is there any page in particular that is slower or is it everywhere?
Ant reported a kind of comparison on mobile devices (I can't find it right now) that showed Elk was slightly slower on "Display" (i.e. the topic pages) than SMF 1.1. It was with different servers, and different forums, so it was not ideal conditions... :-\
Now if you say it's slower on the same machines, same settings and same database (i.e. same forum either empty or with data), it's easier to compare.
May I ask you the condition of the comparison and if you used any tool?

I should set up a testing forum on a host around... mmm... I have something to do today! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Quote from: M4rkus –
Quote from: TE – We do use an integrated video embedding, but currently only Youtube is supported..

AFAIK yes.

RE Performance: Is it a clean Installation or did you import your old SMF data for the test?
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #6

Here it is, I set up three (empty) forums:
http://testing.elkarte.it/elk/index.php <= ElkArte
http://testing.elkarte.it/smf20/index.php <= SMF 2.0
http://testing.elkarte.it/smf21/index.php <= SMF 2.1 (current latest "master" (that is release-2.1) branch at this commit) (due to the recent changes in the minimum version of PHP required SMF 2.1 doesn't run any more on that server.)
Registrations are disabled.

They are "out of the box", the only thing I did in all of them is to disable registrations.
I suppose to have a fair comparison between Elk and 2.1 I should enable/disable some things in both, but for the moment I don't have much time to compare what should be on/off.
Feel free to use them for speed tests.
In the next few days it would be interesting to enable all the options available and see them "at full features".
Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:10:58 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: TE –
Quote from: M4rkus –

AFAIK yes.

RE Performance: Is it a clean Installation or did you import your old SMF data for the test?

Hmmm...here is the test for youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OscixKwoQ_8
Ok....its functional, but more platforms where a good choice ;)

@ Performance....its a clean installation.
-- M4rkus

Reply #8

Very quick test:
ElkArte: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140307_2V_KDR/
SMF 2.0: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140307_8S_KB6/
SMF 2.1: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140307_E3_K91/

Results are indeed interesting.
SMF 2.0 seems the faster of the lot (1.0 secs).
ElkArte is the one with more content (174 KB).
ElkArte has the best ration of bites on 2nd run/bites on 1st run (1st load 174 KB, 2nd load 9KB).
SMF 2.1 is the one with less requests (12).
SMF 2.1 is the one with less DOM Elements (130).
SMF 2.1 takes more time on the 2dn load than on the 1st.
I'm now curious to test Elk with minification on.
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 09:31:52 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #9

I've not said anything about this yet as it's been somewhat unstable, but both on my local test forum and this site (elkarte.net) I've seen multiple occasions (a smaller percentage, but not super rare) where all of a sudden a page takes 4-6 seconds to load and the reported time to generate the page at the bottom reflects the delay.

I found it especially odd on the local server given it's a pretty high spec machine with a lot of RAM and there is no load.

But since it occurs randomly and not on a particular page I don't have any helpful advice.  Never seen this on the SMF 2.0 forum installed on the same machine though.

Reply #10

With minification on:
1st test: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140307_29_MNY/
2nd test: http://www.webpagetest.org/result/140307_X3_MPY/

The first test, demonstrate the fact that the very first page load with minifcation on takes quite a bit... almost *a lot*, but is something that would happen just once every... quite a bit, so it should be acceptable. Anyway there is space for improvement (maybe serve the "normals" if not available and then the minifined at the successive page loads?).
The second test demonstrates a more normal situation, so with the minified file already created. The minification saves about 30KB per page load (a 20%, not bad I think). Also the number of KB on the page reload goes down a bit from 9 to 8 (just 1 more than a plain SMF 2.0). Number of requests is 13 (one more than plain SMF 2.1).

I'm not going to spend much time discussing the "First Byte Time" because the server seems rather unstable in terms of this factor (repeating the test several times can give very different results, from 0.3 up to 0.5).

I'm going to turn off minfication now.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Quote from: scripple – I've not said anything about this yet as it's been somewhat unstable, but both on my local test forum and this site (elkarte.net) I've seen multiple occasions (a smaller percentage, but not super rare) where all of a sudden a page takes 4-6 seconds to load and the reported time to generate the page at the bottom reflects the delay.

I found it especially odd on the local server given it's a pretty high spec machine with a lot of RAM and there is no load.

But since it occurs randomly and not on a particular page I don't have any helpful advice.  Never seen this on the SMF 2.0 forum installed on the same machine though.
I've seen this behaviour here from time to time but I've never been able to repeat it locally...
If you are able to reproduce it (even only randomly), could you please add:
Code: [Select]
$db_show_debug = true;
and click on "show queries" (at the bottom of the page) and see if you can identify a pattern of "where" it occurs? (For example if it is always a particular query, or maybe between two queries, etc.)
Thank you very much! :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

Sure.  Is that in index.php at the top level?

Reply #13

Sorry, forgot to say.
Usually is easier to add at the end of Settings.php. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

Interesting benchmark stuff, it is always hard to compare these things since nothing is normalized.  For instance how would smf 2.0 be with likes, mentions, video embedding, new editor, quote splitting, follow ons, responsive theme, drafts, drag and drop, ajax buttons, etc etc etc mods added to bring the functional levels to be at least somewhat closer.  How would any newer forum compare to an old fashioned text only versions, well they would kick plumbers crack :D.  Features just tend to take space, querys and cpu, we optimize wherever we can but in the end there is no such thing as a free lunch.  Best we can do is search for any bottle necks and optimize.

Not sure on the occasional slow page at least on this site, its a basic vps nothing snazzy.  Could be that since it myisam vs innobd on the tables we are getting a lock now and then, don't know, just throwing stuff out.

Quote from: scripple – Sure.  Is that in index.php at the top level?
Add it to your settings.php file

Quote from: M4rkusOk....its functional, but more platforms where a good choice ;)
It should work with youtube, dailymotion and vimeo
Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:06:10 am by Spuds