Skip to main content
Topic: Linktree and Dropmenu arrows.. (Read 17917 times) previous topic - next topic

Linktree and Dropmenu arrows..

Sorry, but I don't like the arrows in the linktree and the dropmenu.. Apart from that the theme fits much better on this site than on my local copy  :D
I've found some nice arrows on the net, maybe we can adapt some from here:
http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icons/
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: Linktree and Dropmenu arrows..

Reply #1

Looks interesting, but wouldn't like to rely on their whole shebang just for a couple of icons. The current ones are basic html entities that look good (or equally bad, depending on your opinion) in all browsers and (importantly) are stable for vertical positioning as font size is changed in the browser.

I like them in the linktree. The ones down in the first level drop menu could do with a bit more grunt, but I left them basic for now. They're all optional anyway, since they're in pseudos controlled in the CSS.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #2

Can the regular ">" for example, be added as a entity? I've used the quote entity(or ascii code I think its called) this way, for a BBC code relying on adding those by CSS.

I like the css triangles myself, useful as arrows and embellishments alike.

Reply #3

Yeah you can add those, but I tried triangles before with the old 2.1 alpha theme and they're a/ not that great in all browsers and b/ IMO not as good to look at. The basic > isn't that groovy either IMO. I ran through most of them when early testing 2.1 stuff. The current ones are the best I've found. I actually like them. I'd suggest leaving them for default, at least for the moment. Since they're pseudos, it would be easy to add a sprite background to them as part of one of the other sprites.

Reply #4

Just tried it on local with font-weight: 600; for the linktree/unread links, but font-weight: normal; for the divider pseudos (due to their larger font size). Colour set to #666 for both. Works quite well. Sorta makes the text balance out the grunt of the arrows. The slighter lighter colour stops the heavier font-weight being too in your face, while still meeting guidelines for a11y.

Better balance all round. Will have it in the next PR. :)

Reply #5

I got admit I agree with TE though...theres just something about those arrows that I don't associate them directly with something that has to "open" (as in the drop) or as a hierarchy symbol(as in linktree). They seem to me to be used rather as single-point things. Like, "right here the target is" sort of the thing.

I dunno. > or / always felt logical to me. Maybe not for others.

Reply #6

Hmm. I've always liked linktrees that have thing that point towards the next level, which from what I've seen around the web seeems to be logical to a lot of people too. Hey ho.

Reply #7

Yeah, no big deal in the linktree I guess. The menu seems a bit ..well, unusual at least. Maybe its because I am used to simple graphics there instead of actual signs.

Reply #8

;D Yeah well I was trying to get away from images. I'm not worried if they get changed for something else though. The theme has a good feel about it, feedback is generally good, and we're still in alpha. I reckon it'll all come together.

ETA: If running hover menus, I wouldn't bother putting any sub-level indicators, but I think they're handy for click menus.

Reply #9

Yes, it's particularly odd in the menu. It doesn't "say" it opens things to me either... dunno what it says but it ain't that.
No good ideas as to what it could be like, though.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #10

Well it's only one line of CSS, so if they bug you just comment it out for now. Or play around with HTML entities if youre bored. :)

Code: [Select]
/* Top level subsection indicators, just in case anyone wants them. */
.dropmenu>.subsections>a:after {
content:" \2193";
}

Reply #11

K. I've played around with the droppy indicators a bit. Methinks this is quite a bit better. Throw in your 2c. :)

Reply #12

I kind of like the arrows a more aligned with the text myself. Nothing I'll scream about though. :)
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #13

'Tis... doesn't feel natural at all. They're not on the same line, and it feels like things in the menu are slipping away. :(

Reply #14

Meh. :P Ok, moved them.