Skip to main content
Topic: Quote button edits message in quick reply (but not always) (Read 2387 times) previous topic - next topic

Quote button edits message in quick reply (but not always)

Hi,
not 100% sure if it is a "bug" (for me it is one) or a "feature", but if I click on the "Quote" button to quote a message, the whole quoted message is opened in the "Quick reply" window below (without any format buttons etc there) , and not in the normal edit window where you have the formatting icons, possibility to upload images etc.

Somehow, after an action that I can not reproduce anymore, clicking on the Quote-Button brings then the expected behavior and opens the edit window with the quoted message and the full edit functionality.

Version 1.1RC1 and "be social" template.

Edit / PS: The same happens also here!  :o
If it is not a bug, how can this be changed to quote a message in the "full edit window"?
Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:19:51 am by BillyG

Re: Quote button edits message in quick reply (but not always)

Reply #1

Hi,

click Quote than click "Preview" and you will be able to upload attachments. I always thought that the "Preview" button should be translated into "Preview and attachments" or "More options" like in XF.

You can also disable the quick editor, so you will always see the full editor when quote or reply to a message.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

There are two options you can use:
1) "collapse" the quick editor (i.e. the up arrow on the right next to the "Quick Reply" string,
2) disable entirely the quick reply in your profile (look and layout, the options is "Use quick reply on topic display"),
3) enable the "full editor" in quick reply (just below the option mentioned in 2),
it was actually 3 options. :P

So it's not exactly a bug.

I never liked the "more options" XF uses, probably because I'm used to "preview" and because 99% of the time I don't really need anything else apart from the plain text editor.
"Preview and attachments" is partly true (because it's "attachments and more").
Maybe "Preview and options" could be more accurate, though it would be quite a huge button, more than twice as big as "Post". Dunno.

Either way, my dream is one day to entirely remove the post page. O:-)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

When the quick editor is opened/unfolded, a quote will automatically be shown in the quick editor. If you close/collapse/hide it and then click on the quote button, the quote will be opened in the normal editor.

Quote from: emanuele – Either way, my dream is one day to entirely remove the post page. O:-)

Oh, let's talk about that idea! I had a similar one when thinking about a new theme as successor for Circles.

Reply #4

That is if you can add upload and make preview in thread page itself.

Reply #5

Upload and previews are not such a big deal.
What's more tricky is find the space for everything without borking the quick reply and consider that infinite scrolling may come into play at some point (in time and space).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Nice... I thought it never gonna be implemented...

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – Upload and previews are not such a big deal.
What's more tricky is find the space for everything without borking the quick reply and consider that infinite scrolling may come into play at some point (in time and space).
Is there an infinite scrolling solution that allows you to sensibly get to page 5+?

Reply #8

Not that I know of.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.