Skip to main content
Topic: Quick Reply (Read 3461 times) previous topic - next topic

Quick Reply

So been thinking of how the quick reply area works and feel that it could use an update, actually on my local I did update it :P

Today there are a few options for the QR, more than there need to be but some of that will wait for 1.1. 

Anyway you can have:
QR: on and collapsed by default
QR on and shown by default
QR off

First I think that should simply be on or off.  Then the expand / collapsed state is saved based on what the user did, so if they collapse the area, next time they return, tada, its still collapsed.  This is how most of the other expand/collapse areas work, like categories, advanced search, info area on the main page, etc

Next up is if its collapsed and you hit quote from a page, it does not go to QR but instead goes to the the post page.  Again I think what it should do is if QR is on, then when you press quote it simply expands it and inserts your quote.  When it does this it does not update your saved state, so again next time back its still collapsed.

So thats it in a nutshell.  Only have an On/Off option for QR,  if its on the quote always goes to the QR box, and pressing the expand/collapse icon saves that state for the user so its that way when they return.  Thoughts?

Re: Quick Reply

Reply #1

I agree with either on or off option, I never understood why have it expandable, that made no sense to me. I prefer to always have it and the text editor and smileys there as well.

In that is the case, don't even have a posting page just have everything in the QR. Makes for much neater and faster posting and no need for another page to load.

Reply #2

emanuele likes what is reading here.

A thought for the future: a collapsed quick reply, could be a way to "speed up" the page load: to expand the quick reply you need javascript, so, keep the quickreply collapsed could be a way to save bandwidth outputting just the bar "Quick Reply" and load the editor only when it is expanded.
Going a bit further, that be one more step toward get rid of (most of) the post page, because once the quick reply is loaded through ajax, it should be possible to throw in it everything and not have to rely on another page, so even hitting "reply" could just open the quick reply with steroids and live happy.

emanuele runs
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Quote from: emanuele –
 emanuele likes what is reading here.

Going a bit further, that be one more step toward get rid of (most of) the post page, because once the quick reply is loaded through ajax, it should be possible to throw in it everything and not have to rely on another page, so even hitting "reply" could just open the quick reply with steroids and live happy.

emanuele runs

This is what I was going for in my post, why even have wait for another page to load, when everything can be done in QR.

Reply #4

I'll make the PR to get us on our way and indeed I think there is more that can be done to consolidate those two areas !

Reply #5

Why the rush to eliminate the post page?  I bet lots of people like it.  If you structure the code underneath carefully the overhead of having the option of QR or post page is very small.

The post page can help people by having less distraction, especially when previewing a post.  And it has a set number of replies below it to pull into via the quote button.  With QR the number available depends on the pagination of the forum.

I think on/off with expand/collapse matching the last user state is a great idea though.  As has been said it's more like how the rest of the forum operates.