Skip to main content
Topic: [ADDON] Snow (Read 3159 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from [Request] Snow

[ADDON] Snow

Due to the underwhelming response to my first fine snowstorm efforts  :P I now bring you "No Frills Snowstorm with Bells and Whistles".

Introduction
This addon adds a snow storm effect to your site.

Snowstorm can eat up a lot of CPU, even on modern computers, because of the number of elements being moved around the screen at once. Consider raising the animation interval, and lowering the amount of snowflakes (active and max) to help reduce CPU use.

Where supported, Snowstorm will attempt to use GPU-based hardware acceleration to draw and animate the snow. Having GPU acceleration can help in reducing CPU load.

By default, mobile devices are excluded from the snow effect to be nice to their CPUs (and batteries.)  The snow effect is also disabled in the Admin panel.

This addon utilizes Scott Schiller Snowstorm javascript, BSD license, ( http://www.schillmania.com/projects/snowstorm ), it does all the work, the addon is simply a wrapper.

Features
o Master setting to enable or disable the snow storm
o Set Theoretical "milliseconds per frame" measurement
o Set the maximum number of snowflakes that can exist on the screen at any given time
o Set the limit of "falling" snowflakes (ie. moving on the screen, thus considered to be active.)
o Allows snow to move dynamically with the "wind", relative to the mouse\'s X (left/right) coordinates
o Ability to stop the snow effect when the browser window goes out of focus. Saves CPU, nicer to user.
o Set the color of the snowflakes to adjust for theme backgrounds.
o Set the snowflake character, changing it may require flakeWidth/flakeHeight changes.
o Set Max pixel width/height reserved for snow element (for above).
o Allows the snow to "stick" to the bottom of the window.
o When recycling fallen snow off the bottom, have it "melt" and fade out (if browser supports it)
o Allow snow to randomly "flicker" in and out of view while falling
o Defines maximum X/Y velocities for the storm

Download
http://addons.elkarte.net/other/Snow-Storm.html

Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 10:57:43 am by Spuds

Re: [Addon] Snow

Reply #1

Nice... Great job @Spuds

Reply #2

Great! :D

Reply #4

Nice

Reply #5

Nice.  :)

French translation in attachment

Reply #6

Translation added :D

Re: [ADDON] Snow

Reply #7

works fine with 1.1 RC2
@Spuds‍  on add-on site the, the Support button points to another topic, instead this one.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Cool that it works, thanks for testing and finding that wrong link. 

I'll update the package so it can install w/o compat mode and fix the addon site link ... actually just did on my local but don't have the bandwidth to push it ATM.

Reply #9

Updated package to support ElkArte 1.1