Skip to main content
Topic: Wordpress Bridge? (Read 3871 times) previous topic - next topic

Wordpress Bridge?

Just for historical reference, here is a very old thread on regarding bridging to WP [among others]

So, what are the odds of getting a bridge to Wordpress in the near future? It's such an ubiquitous cms [estimated at over half of the market share] that I'm surprised we don't already have one.

I'm not quite sure all the standard perks of a bridge, but sharing users [with a single User Page per user shared by both] alongside their login is the big thing I want.

[Sorry if this belongs in addons, my search for past threads on this topic only yielded the one old discussion here in Feature Discussion. Red text recommended I start a new thread rather than reply to one that old.]

Re: Wordpress Bridge?

Reply #1

Yep, it has been asked a few times.
Usually the issue with bridges is that on registration/login you have to mirror the user to the "other" system.
It is doable, but I remember some "tricks" are necessary in order to ensure everything goes smooth, because both the systems have some... special cases.
Now it has been a while since I last checked, so I can't remember the details. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Any chance you might be able to dig up those details? If I can neither create a native points economy within Elkarte (optimal solution) nor integrate an Elkarte forum using WP database and user profiles(fallback solution), my project won't work with Elkarte [which is OK, if disappointing lol.]

Reply #3

I was pretty sure I did convert the one for SMF, but I can't find any hint of where I can have it... :-\
Maybe I just dreamt about it?

If you are brave enough you can try this one: https://github.com/emanuele45/Wordpress-Elk
I just replaced some entries from SMF to Elk.
It may even work. :o
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Take into consideration that a bridge to wp is not a must have for every forum, and even paid forums are not offering this into the core of forum, some paid forums have a bridge to wp but is a paid addon and is not released by the creators of forum software, it's an unofficial addon.

In the past I had joomla bridged with smf and I learned it's a PITA when it comes to updates: you will have to keep updated the cms, the forum software, the addon Bridge, the Wp template and also all add-ons installed on cms and your forum. It will never be a simple install. I ended by removing the Joomla install, I converted manually all Joomla articles to Simple portal articles, and galleries to a smf gallery. In the end that forum was migrated to elkarte, I only lost the gallery

I don't know what exactly need to do with WordPress but you can also have look at simple portal addon for elkarte.
Just my 2 cents, as a simple forum administrator since I'm not a coder ;)

Let us know what you think and what you will choose to use.

sorry for my bad english

Reply #5

What I need is a points economy. Mycred is excellent. SMF also has two that seem pretty rock solid.

I would definitely prefer an actual integrated points economy within Elkarte, but my thread on the subject gained very little traction.

The two features I need most are points which can be taken and given by staff, and transferred freely between members. A more full featured system would be lovely [and probably service more people] but it's not necessary to me.

Reply #6

I never used a "points economy" addon so I'm not able to give suggestions. 
The only addon that comes into my mind is Member Awards (link http://addons.elkarte.net/feature/Member-Awards.html ), I am not using it and I don't know if is what you are looking for

QuoteSMF also has two that seem pretty rock solid.
Just for my curiosity, can you share the links of theese addons?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

Quote from: radu81 – I never used a "points economy" addon so I'm not able to give suggestions.
The only addon that comes into my mind is Member Awards (link http://addons.elkarte.net/feature/Member-Awards.html ), I am not using it and I don't know if is what you are looking for
At a glance it seems more like a badge system than a currency.

Quote from: meSMF also has two that seem pretty rock solid.
Just for my curiosity, can you share the links of these addons?
Here is one
and...
This is the other

Reply #8

Quote from: Lucyka – I would definitely prefer an actual integrated points economy within Elkarte, but my thread on the subject gained very little traction.

The two features I need most are points which can be taken and given by staff, and transferred freely between members.

...which will not work with the Karma system. You can't transfer Karma points from one member to another. The Karma system works different. If you like a post from member Marc, you give him a +1. If you don't like the behaviour of Sarah the last days, you give her a -1. The Karma of a user is build from these points given by others and can be good or bad.

There is no shop system for ElkArte. And nobody is working on one right now, as far as I know. To be honest, it seems ElkArte is not the best solution for your needs.  ;)

Reply #9

Aye, I've been coming to that conclusion Jorin.

The only reason I had thought it would be relatively simple is because Elkarte comes from SMF which had the two aforementioned mods.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Reply #10

One is from @vbgamer45 he already ported some of his mods to Elk
The other is MPL licensed, so it could be ported... just it needs someone doing it. The only "issue" is that I feel it's not as easy as the try I gave to the WP bridge.
It may be fun, but not something I would do before having 1.1 out and having worked on openimporter a bit and having fixed some stuff in my addons and having done some work on SP.
In other words: I already have quite a bit on my table. xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

I said some stuff, not all my addons! xD
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.