Skip to main content
Topic: Addons Site (Read 12813 times) previous topic - next topic

Addons Site

New Addon Site

As our collection of addons has been growing, we wanted to provide better visibility to what is available as well as provide a way for authors to easily add / announce their addon.

What we have done is create a github.io page / site for addons.  This will help to organize them in to categories,  provide essential details and enable an easier way to find them.  The site is created with  Jekyll and the Liquid template language, styled with bootstrap.  If anyone wants to improve the look feel free to discuss and to make some changes.

Some important things for authors.
  • You do not have to upload your addon to the site, you can leave it where it is, be it an attachment, its own Github repo or even a Bitbucket repo.  Of course if you desire you can also add it to this repo.  What you do is up to you, its your addon after all. 
  • To add your listing to the site, you must add a "page" that describes your addon, these steps will be detailed in the addons board
  • This does not supersede the current board, its simply there to provide additional support to the addon authors and improve the accessibility to our users.

We did attempted to migrate all of the current listing from the addon board to the new site.  This means some were probably missed or have some copy / paste errors.  Feel free to fork the repo, make your fixes, and send a PR.

When you view the addon site the main page is in chronological order of last updated.  You can view addons by category.  Selecting a specific addon will bring up the details page which also includes other addons by that author, as well as other addons from that category.  There is a basic search capability on the site, limited by what we can do with a static site, but its something at least.

http://addons.elkarte.net should take you to the page, enjoy !
Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:05:56 pm by Spuds

Re: Addons Site

Reply #2

Thanks  :D

Yes those are the pages. 

Simply update page and commit it back and everything else will take care of itselftm  If its a code update then change the date in the file (not the name of the file) and it should float to the top.  I'll detail out what the variables in the front matter are in a bit, not in a documentation mood right now :P

Reply #3

Quote from: Spuds – not in a documentation mood right now :P
Welcome to my usual state! :P
No problem, you already did a lot, you deserve a beer or two! After that documentation comes easier. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Great looking site for the addons and much more user friendly then searching through the posts.

Reply #5

It looks AWESOME, however I can still suggest something that could be an improvement.
On the left side you have the menu:
 Security
 Enhancement
 New Feature
 Administration
 Utility
 BBC
 Other
 Smiley

It would be cool to me if each icon reflected the addon category icon, like the enhancements show up a bell, then the bell could fit in the left menu as well and so on... What do you think? :)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #6

Marvelous. Splendid idea indeed. I just learn to reorganize my github. I will try to update all and push it, how that is and to, wherever that is.  ;D

Reply #7

Congrats! You did a great job!!!

I was going to ask if there will be an addon/themes site for elkarte  ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

Quote from: Flavio93Zena – It looks AWESOME, however I can still suggest something that could be an improvement.
On the left side you have the menu:
 Security
 Enhancement
 New Feature
 Administration
 Utility
 BBC
 Other
 Smiley

It would be cool to me if each icon reflected the addon category icon, like the enhancements show up a bell, then the bell could fit in the left menu as well and so on... What do you think? :)
Not sure if you're a coder, but you can do this yourself and submit a pull request so Spuds and Emanuele don't have to.

Spuds, awesome idea. Great work.

Reply #9

Would it be possible to add the page to the menu here for easier access  ;)

Reply #10

@Joshua Dickerson nice to see you are still around... I saw you on sm.org, one of the first members... 39th if I'm not mistaken
I'm not a coder at all, but I'm one hell of a glitcher, bug spotter and good at thinking improvements/mods (I currently have 133 mods installed on my own smf, with many custom edits and 4 themes based on the default that look radically different) so suggesting is what I can do :)
As a sidenote I don't even have GitHub, never really liked it that much.

Quote from: Allan – Would it be possible to add the page to the menu here for easier access  ;)
Second that request. Under "Community" tab (since it's community-driven) or after new replies, I don't know, up to you guys.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #11

I had to make a few tweaks to the pages, so in doing that I changed the sidebar icons to reflect the category. 

The reason I was tweaking some things was that I added a travis CI build process to the gh_pages creation.  So now when an updated is pushed all of the links (script, image, url, etc) are automatically validated, so its a quick check that the site built correctly.
Quote from: Allan – Would it be possible to add the page to the menu here for easier access  ;)
I'll see what @emanuele can do :D :D

Reply #12

emanuele has still to update the site... :'(
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Found a couple of small bugs:

1.  see the attachment ("2" is the active page)
2. http://addons.elkarte.net/enhancement/Smart-Title-For-SEO.html
The Support button brings me to the topic if that addon, and I think it's ok because I can download the addon from that topic. The Download button brings me to another mod of ahrasis (HLBM: Highlight Buddy Message)
Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:34:06 pm by Spuds
sorry for my bad english

Reply #14

The download link is right as that thread is the only location that I know of for the addon.  @ahrasis is free to update that to anything he likes :D

The other issue was a copy / paste thing, yes I'm using emanueles excuse, but it fits well here ! I'll fix that in a moment, thanks for the report.