Skip to main content
Topic: block registration for some domains (Read 2531 times) previous topic - next topic

block registration for some domains

I would like to block some email domains to register to my forum (example @gmail.com). I know I could ban them, but that will also ban some "inocent" users.

Is there a way to do this? in smf there was a mod if I remember well
sorry for my bad english

Re: block registration for some domains

Reply #2

Solved, this can be done with ban system, instead of a total ban I can use a partial ban. I forgot about this ;)

maybe the check email during registration could be a little improved: instead of letting the user to insert all fields for registration and the then showing a message error[1], could be that once filled the email and if the domain is blocked for registration to show a message like "This domain is blocked, choose another email address...". what do you think about it?
with the message error displayed the user will never know why he cannot register
Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 05:36:55 pm by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

I don't know if you can ban multiple domains at once though, via that system.

As regards the error message... Yeah, the mod was doing it.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #4

Quote from: radu81 – maybe the check email during registration could be a little improved: instead of letting the user to insert all fields for registration and the then showing a message error[1], could be that once filled the email and if the domain is blocked for registration to show a message like "This domain is blocked, choose another email address...". what do you think about it?

Good idea. Such as showing a green "your address seems to be okay with us, go on with the registration!" give the user a red "oh no, you are not allowed here with this address. Go get another one for free and try again!"  :)
with the message error displayed the user will never know why he cannot register

Reply #5

I have actually have seen such message with a forum or two. While registration, they say, they do not approve emails on the particular domain.

Reply #6

Interesting idea. Actually, as usual, the whole banning would benefit from some improvements, few ideas are floating in my head,  though it takes time. lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.