Skip to main content
Topic: Orion - theme preview (Read 24080 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Orion - theme preview

Reply #15

I have to say this theme looks gorgeous.

As someone who is visually imparied, I have to say that the theme is very clean and  I think it would be very easy to find what you need and go.

/tracking

Reply #16

Sorry for the long pause in updates, been ill with a nasty bacteria which made me rather sleepy from the medicine past 3 weeks. Cant code when you start to doze off every time you start writing lol :P :)

Anyways, progress is commencing again and I uploaded a demo at http://bjornhkristiansen.com/elkarte/index.php where you can watch the progress(even register though its admin approved, wait a little and it will be approved) . Theres also a github repository of the theme at https://github.com/Bloc67/Orion_elkarte if you want to have a look at the code(be warned, its a bit messy)

As this is a more or less rewrite of most, if not all, templates, it will take some time to finish. I hoped not to have to do that, but looking at the default theme it was a daunting task to try to mold it into what I envision for the Orion theme. So rewrite it is. :)

Reply #17

Quote from: Bloc – Cant code when you start to doze off every time you start writing lol :P :)
Of course you can! Just do not expect it to be what you were thinking of writing. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

@bloc I'm very excited by the progress, its looking great ... Love the "sort by" icons  :)

Reply #19

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: Bloc – Cant code when you start to doze off every time you start writing lol :P :)
Of course you can! Just do not expect it to be what you were thinking of writing. :P
;D Very true lol
Quote from: Spuds – @bloc I'm very excited by the progress, its looking great ... Love the "sort by" icons  :)

Reply #20

It is really looking nice! Great job! Get well soon and back to work then, hurry!  ;)

I really think this could work for my board. Will you have the energy to update this theme a few years when Elk gets new functions regarding the theme?

Reply #21

Oh I am already well, thanks. :) It was a 2-3 weeks where all was a bit hazy but all clear now.

Sure, I come to like the Elk a lot, theres innovation and speed(to not say the least) here that I really appreciate. I have already looked at 1.1 and its new stuff but will finish the theme(which will also form the base of more, have a few ideas for either variants or new themes) for 1.0.9, which is currently the stable elk version. That way it would be easier to make a version for 1.1 - which have a few new tricks up its sleeve already that I'd like to use properly. ;)

Reply #22

Good to hear! I liked your SMF themes in the past too. So I will keep Orion on the radar.  :)

Reply #23

A few tidbits while working on it, here a new take on the Announcements section in admin section. Instead of showing it right away(which kind of hide the quick tasks somewhat by pushing it downward) I opted for a popup which you get by clicking the announcments link/header. Screenshots added.

Reply #24

And speaking of attachments, this is my version of that: a more gallery like appearance, whee the full version will show/adapt to the whole page. Other non-image attachments is shown below the images, with a nice icon for common fileformats.

- the image cannot really be downloaded now, have to fix that.
- The small images show just as they are(instead of adapting to page) but it is a set limit which may or may not show some images in full height still(essentially enlarging them digitally which is NOT what we want). Still working on how to solve that.
- Its a bit...gridlike, need to experiment some more on looks.

Screenshots added.

Reply #25

Some more screenshots, this time the main menu. Shown a menu with icon + texts, only icons and the mobile menu. The texts and also submenus can be turned off in the current theme settings page. Not sure if it should be a user choice as well...

Reply #26

Great progress! ....  Kind of glad to hear you also struggle with how to deal with attachments, they just seem to fight with layouts no matter what.  

Very nice touch adding the mime type in place of the paperclip, the profile area "recent" section uses mine images as does the add attachment screen (in v1.1), but the actual topic view was left behind :(

Nice side menus, I like the options of icon or icon+text, cool stuff.

Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:03:25 am by Spuds

Reply #27

Thanks. :)

I dabbled a bit on the attachments again..and this is my latest attempt: the thumbnails now fit within a container that is decided by how big thumbnails in $modSettings are and thus will look more uniform. But, as some parts will then be cut-off I added a hover that when you are over an image , will show it in full(the thumbnail). As before when clicked it will show the original mage in full page, adapting to screen width.

But, to those that want to download or just show the original as-it-is(without adapting to screen width) I added 2 icons next to the size indicator, one for showing the original image in a new window - and one to download it straight to disk. I think I covered all possibilities then lol...

It will certainly look nicer with bigger thumbnails, but work ok down to 120px thumbs too. less than that and the space starts to be a little small for the text panel under each. But, I think thats ok. :)

EDIT: a live preview can be seen at http://bjornhkristiansen.com/elkarte/index.php?topic=2.0

EDIT2: I just noticed I forgot the "viewed number of times" .. now, where to snug that in? :P :)

Reply #28

wow that gorgeous @Bloc ! I can't wait to try it when it stable. :)
192.MY.ID: Forum ISP Indonesia.

Reply #29

Nice!  I do like the way you handled the attachments, the hover is a great solution.  I feel leaving the file name out makes a lot of sense as well.  Most file names I see today are generally useless in describing the image so why take up 4 or 5 wrapped lines of text to display them.  Do have the get the counter back in there, folks like to see their click feedback :D