Skip to main content
Topic: Footnotez in quotez (is weird). (Read 5834 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Footnotez in quotez (is weird).

Reply #15

How would that work on touchscreen? I'm just thinking that the time you're really likely to want them inline is when you're on a tiny screen, but phones don't do hover. Seems to me that if you want them inline it would make more sense for them to be click-activated. This is frankly often less bother even on desktop too, because you don't get crap popping up when you don't want it.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #16

Quote from: Antechinus – I'm just thinking that the time you're really likely to want them inline is when you're on a tiny screen,
Not really: if you have the text appear on hover/click, you don't have to jump around in the page just to see a note.
I have always wanted to put them appear on hover, I gave it a try a couple of times, but then forgot.

Quote from: live627 –
QuoteJust wondering if we should also have them shown on hover over which would allow you to read the footnote in a somewhat less obtrusive way.
I think that's how MediaWiki does it.
MW has "everything": footnotes at the bottom of the page (for desktop and mobile), on hover for desktop, on click for mobile.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #17

The MW way seems like overkill to me, at least for a forum. Doing them on hover or click should be easy enough (with my preference being click, obviously).

Reply #18

Only a popup then... you don't think people'd get confused?
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #19

Meh. People are always getting confused anyway. Why worry?

Reply #20

because  less  confusion  means less work for those helping support the software.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte