Skip to main content
Topic: digitalocean requirements and configuration (Read 2310 times) previous topic - next topic

digitalocean requirements and configuration

I wonder if anyone would be able to give me some advice?

I'm considering moving my now functioning small elkarte community to digitalocean, from a standard vps that appears to have had all my container management tools withdrawn (so just a hosting environment, not a vps, then).

It looks like my current storage/disk would be met by a $5 droplet, my current memory matched by a $10 droplet, and my current CPU by a $20 droplet. The only thing is that the current vps is very much under utilised. Whats hard to gauge is by how much, and what I could get away with (container tools not accessible). Bandwith, as far as I can tell, is currently around a tenth that of a $5 droplet, so not a major consideration.

Ideally I'd like to configure a self-contained droplet with database and webserver on the droplet. does anyone have any experience of this sort of environment, or guidance on required cpu/memory to run elkarte, nginx, mariadb, and any necessary email support? What would the recommendations be on OS and configuration?

I appreciate this is off topic, and perhaps not suitable for discussion here, but as the intention is just to run a small self-contained elkarte community I hope it's not inappropriate.

Thanks in advance.

Re: digitalocean requirements and configuration

Reply #1

Also consider https://www.linode.com and http://www.ramnode.com Looks like those $5 plans have a bit more memory which is always a very good thing.  There are probably others as well but I've used these (no affiliation) and had good support.

I would not go less than 1G of memory, I'm sure it would work on 512M but you are really having to make some choices on the server setup.

The memory use will be to your DB (more if you are running innodb tables), number of FPM process you allow (use dynamic with nginx), and then probably how much space you give to php's opcache.   I don't think your email will be a large memory hog (postfix, dovecot).

I just looked at one of my VPS (its a 2G 4core) its running 4 Elkarte Websites, and a couple of other static sites.  Its currently only using 1.2G of memory ... I terms of memory use its mysql (40% real plus a good pool of virtual) then php+fpm then sphinx then nginx then a bunch of stuff that is not doing to much, well fail2ban is busy :P I've used about 20G of disk but I have a lot of files to deal with on those sites and right now I have some old tar files I need to clean up.

Quote had all my container management tools withdrawn
I'm not sure what you mean by this, are you looking to have Cpanel like capabilities as well?  You could use webmin for your server panel and then maybe froxlor for your websites, all depends on what you are looking for / need.
Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 08:55:04 am by Spuds

Reply #2

Thanks for that.

It looks like  ramnode's 2048MB SKVMS in NL might be a suitable candidate for me.  It's a shame it's the only location for that plan out of stock. I have contacted them, and will see what pans out.

My container tools were that I previously had virtuozzo power panel. This allowed me to manage resources, traffic logs, system services and processes, start, stop, and suspend the container, and manage container files. I paid for a 2 year contract. The host I used (and had used for nearly ten years) was bought out by another hosting company.  They moved data centre, and made a right mess, but it retained functionalilty after a couple of weeks restoring it.  Half way through my contract they have now broken my virtuozzo panel and say they can't or wont restore it.  I now have to just use my installed hosting panel and ssh, and if I need to restart the container, i have to contact them through support. It last took them seven hours to make an initial first response to a support contact.  That's not actually addressing the problem, that's just getting a soothing triage message that actually does nothing.  This is not acceptable to me. I'm off.

Reply #3

you may also have a look at linode They have good prices and good performances. I have 2B Linode plan and I'm glad with costs/performances.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

I've got a cheap VPS for personal use at hostsailor.com that I'm satisfied  but of course I couldn't say about your heavier requirements.

Reply #5

I've been looking into the budget self-managed vps market. OVH offer a cheap self-managed vps with: 1 vCore 2.4 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 10 GB SSD; I'm considering using that, but a little concerned about the disk space. It would actually be as cheap to have two, split the database and webserver into seperate vps (possible? easy?), and have twice the cpu and memory as some of the other cheapest options (but obviously not be able to share the cpu or memory to whichever processes needed it).

Would anyone have any advice on that sort of scenario?

Reply #6

Its a pretty common scenario to have one VPS used as the DB server, pretty much that is all that runs on it, and it only accepts connections from the IP of your "web" server.  Its a good high performance solution as the DB server does not have to share resources and the connection between the two servers is really intranet level stuff so very fast.

You said you only had a small site, so I would not do the split, well unless you just wan to have some fun.  10G for a single site should serve you well for some time.  If you have a lot of attachments be sure to use some of the addons that help compress those so you are not dealing with 5M phone pics when they can really be 400K images.

If you run out of space with 10G its easy for the VPS providers to move you to a bigger container, often you don't even "move" they just define your KVM with larger resources.

Most of these folks are month to month, so pick one, spend $5 bucks and see how it works for you before you do the actual move.

Reply #7

I also have one classic vps from OVH for tests, not bad for what it offers. At work we have 2 OVH cloud vps (1 core, 2GB RAM, 25GB RAM) for about two years, they had a couple of down in 1 year, one for a few minutes and the last one for almost 6 hours. If I have to compare them to Linode I could say Linode is faster and support on Linode is much better, they respond in a few minutes to every ticket, while on OVH you're lucky if you get an answer. With these unmanaged vps is normal since technical support is not included, they only respond for the hardware part.
sorry for my bad english