Skip to main content
Topic: Friendly URL's (Read 2955 times) previous topic - next topic

Friendly URL's

I tried ticking the box to use "pretty" or friendly URL's in my admin panel and not getting them for some reason.  Underneath the tick box it does say my server supports this.  Do I need to add an .htaccess file or change a file up on the server?  If I cant get friendly URL's , is it THAT important?  I notice Elkarte here is not using them.  Maybe a pro and con to using friendly URL's
There will be a seminar on "time travel" two weeks ago

Re: Friendly URL's

Reply #1

it should work but probably you are expecting a different result. This is a casual link, the first I found on a elkarte board which has this option enabled
Code: [Select]
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/index.php/topic,139.0.html
which is different from the original one:
Code: [Select]
http://support.elkarte-hilfe.de/index.php?topic=139

These is also an addon, but I did not test it: http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=513.0

I don't use any sef rewrite, I had a bad experience in the past with pretty urls mod for SMF, huge database and slow forum.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

Oh...cool. My URL's came out like the first html code your showing radu81.  So it looks like I do have friendly.
Yeah, I was looking for something a little shorter, like:  example. com/topic/4.html    ,  but I guess what I have will work.
Does index.php have to be part of the URL?  No biggy if it does, I can live with it. 
There will be a seminar on "time travel" two weeks ago

Reply #3

Imo there is no valid reason to use friendly urls, there is no SEO benefit .... think that even a site like youtube is not using friendly urls ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #4

Quote from: SkyNet – If I cant get friendly URL's , is it THAT important?  I notice Elkarte here is not using them.  Maybe a pro and con to using friendly URL's
Honestly I have no clear idea myself.
I've never been a fan of "friendly" urls because to me numbers have always been friendlier than words, but I'm the particular one in that case. :P

It may be that "friendly/pretty urls" give something more to google ranking, I never really tried. SEO guru will tell you that pretty-urls are a must-have. Google (I mean the guides they put up somewhere) write something about the fact friendly are nicer for users (and in google's language that should mean it helps ranking), but I forgot where I saw that... :-[ But I found it with a search, so it should not that far. LOL

At the moment Elk urls are still "old-style", there is the simple-sef addon, though it seems not really working as expected in all cases (you can give it a try and see if it works for you), so it's till a bit "pending"...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

WIll the same "Friendly URL's" or "Pretty URL's" be available in the new 1.1 ? I took a gander at 1.1 RC2 and didn't see an option.

Reply #6

Hi @tacticool (and welcome :)).

The pointless type of friendly URLs (i.e. just shuffling around the id of the topic/message and adding an "html" at the end) will be supported if on, but the enable option has been removed from the admin panel.
The "proper" friendly urls are not (yet, again) supported, there is still the addon that I have to update to 1.1, along with several other addons. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – Hi @tacticool (and welcome :)).

The pointless type of friendly URLs (i.e. just shuffling around the id of the topic/message and adding an "html" at the end) will be supported if on, but the enable option has been removed from the admin panel.
The "proper" friendly urls are not (yet, again) supported, there is still the addon that I have to update to 1.1, along with several other addons. :)

Thanks for the quick reply!