Skip to main content
Topic: Email subscriptions (Read 3547 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Email subscriptions

Reply #1

I think with our Post By Email capabilities, IF the admin has set up their forum to use that capabilty it shoudl be possible to "unsubscribe" to the forum. 

In my experience its not forum newsletters that get flagged, at least for me its been someone getting a PM (since most have get PM's by email selected) which down the road get flagged as SPAM.

Anyway a one click unsubscribe would be nice feature to add, should open up a feature request on GitHub so it tracked  O:-)

Reply #2

I think there was already something about it, I don't remember if here or at github... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #3

Quote from: Spuds – I think with our Post By Email capabilities, IF the admin has set up their forum to use that capabilty it shoudl be possible to "unsubscribe" to the forum. 

That's pretty clever thinking.

X-ref: https://github.com/elkarte/Elkarte/issues/2824

I don't think I can tag issues or apply labels.

Quote from: emanuele – I think there was already something about it, I don't remember if here or at github... :-\

Tried a search but couldn't find anything. It could be called anything though.

Reply #4

From reading, the requirements vary somewhat by county, but generally the opt-out is required for "Non-Solicited", "direct marketing / commercial" messages. 

Since someone has to signup to a site to get notifications it would not be considered Non-Solicited.   Anyway there is a link provided in the emails that provide the web location and directions on how to opt-out (granted its not a one click affair, but thats not required either, simply just a single website and directions).  Having a one click would be nice, and I think its something we could do for some cases, not all, but some.

Reply #5

Thats my understanding also Spuds.

Reply #6

Has this site sent out a newsletter or notification ... honest question?  I've run forums for years and never once sent out a newsletter or notification, I honestly think the entire function is useless, at least for me.

I think the complaint is that the option is enabled by default, and ZOMG, crap yer pants, you may get an email from a site you joined.  Getting this email is horrific and may cause one to be emotionally compromised.

On some sites, you can't change that option until you hit some level (can't opt out) which is a problem.   How a site is managed is not our concern so the options are.
A) don't enable that by default e.g. notify_announcements default gets set to 0
-or-
B) show that checkbox on the registration screen. 

Seems like B) would be the proper thing to do.  There maybe some permission thing to check that prevent locking someone out of notifications area as well, but nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Reply #7

C) separate notifications into an area of the profile always accessible.

Anyway, there is even a feature that allows the admin to override user-preferences and notify them even if they decided not to get emails. O_O

Quote from: Spuds – I think the complaint is that the option is enabled by default, and ZOMG, crap yer pants, you may get an email from a site you joined.  Getting this email is horrific and may cause one to be emotionally compromised.
The funny thing is that people go all ZOMG when it's trivial to follow reach the source of the email and be done with it, while they shrug and pass on about the real spam that they receive each and every day, but whose source cannot be reached and cannot be turned off, not even with a lawsuit. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

QuoteAnyway, there is even a feature that allows the admin to override user-preferences and notify them even if they decided not to get emails. O_O
Should this be removed?

Maybe a bit of B and C ... let them opt out when they join, and try to ensure the Admin can't block access to turn it off?

QuoteThe funny thing is that people go all ZOMG when it's trivial to follow reach the source of the email and be done with it, while they shrug and pass on about the real spam that they receive each and every day, but whose source cannot be reached and cannot be turned off, not even with a lawsuit. :P
Exactly!

Reply #9

I'd vote for B and C as well.
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #10

Go get em!