Skip to main content
Topic: Attachments are not displayed after transfering forum to a new server (Read 2268 times) previous topic - next topic

Attachments are not displayed after transfering forum to a new server

Sorry for posting this twice O:-)  The same topic  is also here in "German Support": http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=4629.0

We do need help with this,  our forum is still in maintenance mode

Quote from: Ruth –
We have moved our forum to a new server today. Everything seems to be okay, but the avatars and the attachments are not displayed in forum.

The page/site in the adminpanel, where the settings for the attachments can be done, is not displayed also.

My hoster asked me to ask here, in which way the attachments have to be transfered: "binary" oder "based on the text"?

It is also not possible to reply in the topics or to create a new topic. This will lead you to an "empty page" in browser.
Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:44:11 pm by Ruth

Re: Attachments are not displayed after transfering forum to a new server

Reply #1

If you archived your forum properly, I think it should be as easy as re-extracting it. And if you have shell access for both, this could just be done via terminal. Just what I think as I could be wrong though.

Reply #2

What is "shell access", Ahrasis? ( Edit: I asked google.  I don't know if Ferrika can work in this way on the server)

Ferrika moved other forums as well to her new server...but those are (still) SMF-Forums.

She did it the same way with our ElkArte-Forums... and it was not working. :(

So there is a difference between SMF and ElkArte? Something should have be done in another way?
Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 01:42:24 am by Ruth

Reply #3

repair_settings.php
Now I'm on the phone, can't look for the download... :-[
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Thank you both, Aharis and Emanuele...

Everything seems to work now since a few minutes.

There was a mess about the file-permissions on the server before, therefore it did not work, if I understood it well, what Ferrika told me.

Reply #5

File permission can always cause problems especially when transferring from one server to another. That is where ssh access come in handy if you have access to it. You can simply dump your database and archive elkarte via terminal and transfer them both from the old server to the new one, then restore them in the new server. Normally if the domain, database and its username is the same, it should run properly.

But IMO old methods of archiving and extracting your elkarte forum via filemanager should work too. Similarly backing up and restoring your database via phpmyadmin.

Anyway, nice to hear that your forum is already working good.

Reply #6

Another question about this:

I have never used the repair_settings.php by myself. O:-)

My testforum is still showing this warning message.

Everything seems to be okay in my testforum as well, since a few weeks. Attachments are displayed and so on...
But I don't dare to do anything there, because of this warning message.

What must be done to finish this?

Reply #7

Via ftp you remove the file repair_settings.php from the forum directory. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Thank you very much, Emanuele! I did not dare to do this before.