Skip to main content
Topic: [custom.css] Elk frozen stars (Read 15185 times) previous topic - next topic

[custom.css] Elk frozen stars

Yet antoher example to show you the styling power of Elk.

With PR #1409 it is possible to place a custom css file inside the variant in order to "overwrite" parts of the default files. That file is not part of Elk itself, therefore you don't have to worry about upgrading your Elk (it won't be overwritten).

Here's a quickly made example called "frozen stars", you can upload that file in the variant folder ( made for the "Be Social!" variant) and your Elk will change it's styling. A screenshot and the related file is attached.

Note: The pull request was made after Beta2 release, therefore it does not work with a B2.

Re: [custom.css] Elk frozen stars

Reply #1

Nice, it looks great. :)

Reply #2

It's nice how you're setting Elk up to be easy to style.  It will be great having it persist across updates.

Reply #3

Hey to make it even easier you should code Elk so it can have a customcustom.css to override custom.css too. :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #4

Hi TE,

please check the download link here: http://themes.elkarte.net/2015/01/Frozen%20Stars
At the moment it only leads to the code view of a page.

Reply #5

Thank TE, I used this on my forum skodaclub.it. I did just some small modifications
sorry for my bad english

Reply #6

Quote from: Lars – Hi TE,

please check the download link here: http://themes.elkarte.net/2015/01/Frozen%20Stars
At the moment it only leads to the code view of a page.
Yep, I know.. that's intended.. there's just this single file which needs to be downloaded (right click - then save as ..)
Quote from: radu81 – Thank TE, I used this on my forum skodaclub.it. I did just some small modifications
:)  :)  :)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #7

Quote from: TE – Yep, I know.. that's intended.. there's just this single file which needs to be downloaded (right click - then save as ..)

Oh. ;)  I saw that it is a custom theme but I didn't know that this one page is enough.

Reply #8

I just want to say that this is a great feature. Very much appreciated...

Reply #9

I have just installed a new Elkarte board and I do not have a folder named "css_besocial" in the following location  themes\default\css_besocial\, what am I missing?
Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 10:03:16 am by cjazz

Reply #10

It's a small typo in the description.
 emanuele blames @Spuds :P

It's /css/_besocial (see the slash between "css" and "_besocial"). ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

LOL ... typing never was my strong point, nor spelling, or grammar really :P

Reply #12

I have uploaded the "custom_besocial.css" file into themes/default/css/_besocial folder and there is no change to the forum's template, which remains the same layout as the default template. Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Reply #13

Is the forum accessible?
I just tried on my local testing forum and works fine (but you can never know what happens on my testing forums LOL).

Just to be sure, you are using the BeSocial! variant? (It's not the default one, that's why I'm asking.)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

Forum is accessible.
Not sure what you mean by "you are using the BeSocial! variant"?  There is only one default template available on the new installation, which is the Elkarte Default Theme.  Sorry if these questions sound a bit stupid, but this setup is very different from my SMF board..

Quote from: emanuele – Just to be sure, you are using the BeSocial! variant? (It's not the default one, that's why I'm asking.)

Update:
I can now get the Elkeare Be Social theme to work by selecting this theme from "My Account/Look and Layout" where there is an option to change the Current Theme to the Elkeart Be Social theme .  However, the problem is that The Elkeart Be Social theme cannot be set to be the default theme for all users through the administration section/Theme Management and Options.
Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 04:13:15 pm by cjazz