Skip to main content
Topic: Member Profile Header Picture, Thoughts & Comments (Read 3464 times) previous topic - next topic

Member Profile Header Picture, Thoughts & Comments

Good morning,

I wish to request a permission based addon where a member can add a profile header picture. This picture is to be placed in the header part in his profile. The idea is to make a member feel like having his own personal page.

Also profile thoughts and comments where member can post his thoughts and others can comment with regards to that. He can limit that to his buddies or open for public (or nobody can comment). For this, if it is too much, there is another replacement idea.

Instead of doing the above mentioned addon, is it possible to create a permission based addon that allow a board in a category be used as a member board. Similarly, he can limit that to his buddies or open for public (or nobody can comment).

Permitted members will see a button / menu to create his own board, if that is not yet created. If it is already created, there will be a link to that board. Only board owner can create topic in it and 5-10 of his recent topic will be displayed in his profile page.

Huh... a long one for the second (thoughts and comments) part. Any taker(s)? ;)

Re: Member Profile Header Picture, Thoughts & Comments

Reply #1

Good morning to you, in Italy is 01.00am ;)

Personally I'm not a big fan of profile comments, I disabled them on my XF forum ;)
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

No problem since I also requested another option if that is too much. ;)

But profile header picture would be a nice addon. Currently, I think it is possible if you simply want to use an image link for it. But it will not be permission based.

Reply #3

Create a board for each single member is not really technically possible, because if each member were to create a board, the number of boards that can be supported is smaller than the number of members that can exist: id_board is a smallint I think while id_member is a mediumint.

Last time I did something like that (and the next time I'm going to do it), I'd use a single board filtered by id_member or something. It's not different from how blog software do the same thing.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

Ok. No problem with the first part. But I am interested in this:

Quote from: emanuele – Last time I did something like that (and the next time I'm going to do it), I'd use a single board filtered by id_member or something. It's not different from how blog software do the same thing.

Care to share more?

Reply #5

If in the message index (e.g. http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?board=23.0 ) instead of just get any message, you filter by topic starter for example, you basically obtain a blog.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Using single board as blog is a clever idea already. But I'd love to see the sorting is change to tab or menu, and upon its click, content is refresh (sorted) with ajax effects. Loading, blurring in and out or something. It may look nice if properly done.

Hurrrmmm...

By the way, can we add own post and buddy post so the board can be sorted according to our own or buddy post in it?

Reply #7

Based on your suggestion, I am thinking to create a permission addon to the board system based on your suggestion i.e. a group base and/or individual base.

How do I, let's say, limit view to the contents of a board by group? Let's say, in the assigne "blog" board, group A will only see all posts started by member of group A only and/or member A will only see all posts started by member A only.

That way, we didn't have to so many boards, right? Ok, which files I have to go through the code? ;)

Reply #8

Ouch... already 4 weeks passed? Heck, time is too fast.

Answer is not "that" easy, or better: give a simple answer would be more or less the same as no answer. Give a complete answer would mean write tons of stuff creating a lot of confusion.
A few weeks ago I started working on the porting of the code I wrote a long while ago for SMF[1], give me a week or two and I should be able to push it to github, then you can have a look at the code, and that will be easier to read than any description I can make. LOL ;)
I just get lost on some "design" choice as usual. lol Along with the flu of last week that stopped almost all my activities on the web and in RL.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.