Skip to main content
Topic: Language filename (Read 2868 times) previous topic - next topic

Language filename

It would be beneficial for the translator if the language file name, the same name as before would the addition of the language. Example:
Admin.english.php change to Admin.php
For some languages, the Casual Honorifics (example: German Du) or use Formal Honorifics (example: German Sie), an own language folder could be used in each case.
Example:
German for Casual Honorifics and German_informell for Formal Honorifics
That would bring a time advantage to change with a comparison program to find the differences when you upgrade.
Regards Stephan

Re: Language filename

Reply #1

I wouldn't mind changing the filename to remove the language name since the language files are already in a directory, but how does that change anything for the translator? I'm not really sure what you mean.

Reply #2

To see what is changed in the language files in a new Forumersion, comparing the files.  I always make the completion of a translation verification of the original file and the translated file.

Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:35:53 pm by wintstar
Regards Stephan

Reply #3

AH, I see what you're saying now. I am pretty sure there are language packs that have something like German_formal and German_informal. At least, in SMF there is.

Reply #4

@Joshua Dickerson I have my last post something added.
Regards Stephan

Reply #5

Eh, this is outside my realm of expertise. I guess this is more for @emanuele

Reply #6

There is another suggestion from me. It should help to make it even better ElkArte.
Regards Stephan

Reply #7

Sorry, I've been a bit behind the schedule.
I guess you are not using transifex for translating, right?

Quote from: Joshua Dickerson – I wouldn't mind changing the filename to remove the language name since the language files are already in a directory, but how does that change anything for the translator? I'm not really sure what you mean.
I think, that comparing the English files with the German one to see the differences between two versions is not the best option, because the diff will show almost everything: most of the strings are already different from one to another and you won't be able to see many changes.
The only way to get all the changes, additions and deletions is to compare the two versions of the English you want to translate, identify the changes and then translate what is missing/changed.

That said, I've never been able to decide if the language in the file name makes sense or not...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I am registered on transifex. I've got so far still no clear view. At the conclusion of the translations I always compare the original file with the translated. It may be that this is unusual. It comes even before now and then, the strings are forgot to translate. And this "final" avoids this "forgotten".

Regards Stephan

Reply #9

Quote from: emanuele – That said, I've never been able to decide if the language in the file name makes sense or not...
It does, if you are downloading them and editing in Notepad, you'd like to see it in the filename, especially when editing multiple language files or comparing them ;) Leave it there please :)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~