Skip to main content
Topic: More than one likes in a thread (Read 7413 times) previous topic - next topic

More than one likes in a thread

Seems to be not possible, giving two ore more likes to different posts of the same author in one thread. :o

Re: More than one likes in a thread

Reply #1

It should be possible ... Do you have the time / number limits set in the control panel? ( index.php?action=admin;area=featuresettings;sa=likes )   If so you could just be restricted due to that (adding to many likes in to short a time).

Reply #2

I can't change this. I have this problem here. ;) Wanted to like this post and the first post. But I can't.

Quote from: Spuds – ...(adding to many likes in to short a time).
No, can't like it with an hour difference between the first and the second try to like a post.

Reply #3

Just checked here and the settings are such that it should not have caused a problem ... I'll try to reproduce this on my local.

Reply #4

Thanks!

Reply #5

Tried several ways on my local setup and have not been able to reproduce it (yet)

When you try like that post, does the icon change to the + when you hover over it?  Does anything happen when you click on the like icon (please check your browser console to see if you are getting a JS error and if its posting what the Post response is)

Thanks

Reply #6

I get a "+" on hover, yes. I get an "javasript:void(0)" in the status bar too. When I click the like button, nothing happens. Browser is IE9 64Bit on Windows 7.

Oh... I tried to click on it with developer tools of IE open. It said I should refresh the site. I did, and now I liked the post! :o  Don't know what this was... :-X Sorry for the inconvenience. :-[

Reply #7

Well glad it finally worked  :)  I'll play around with IE9 a bit and see if we have some ajax / refresh issue.  Sounds as if it may have been liked but your browser never refreshed for some reason.  

Reply #8

Is there are time limit set on this site? During my tests, I noticed that it won't give any warnings even if like/unlike has failed due to time limit and silently ignore the click. I expected it to throw some kind of warning.

Reply #9

Just took a look, its set to 10 likes in 1 minute.    I don't recall it having capability to displaying any type of "flood" waning but I'll take a look at that ajax handler to see what we can do (or if its there and simply not working or not used).

Any preferences if we should just give a quick slider notice up top or the more stop what you are doing modal box.

Reply #10

I think slider notice would be good enough. It's not a huge issue.

Reply #11

I fixed it in a PR I'm working on, the controller was failing to provide an "error" response when the limit was exceeded. 

Just to note, currently the ajax controller for likes has a modal box so thats what I used for hat error.   Providing a warning and an error method in our various ajax controllers may be a good thing for 1.1.

Reply #12

That sounds good. ;)

Reply #13

@Ruth  played Miss Marple the last days and experienced this, which I think I can testify 'cause it seems it's happening in both our boards, hers and mine:

You can like any post, this works well. Now it gets complicated. Puh. Remember ElkArte showing the numbers of likes in a thread on the board index? It seems that the count of likes on the board index only shows likes in threads you didn't start. If you start a thread it doesn't count the likes in this thread for yourself. Maybe others see the correct numbers, but you don't. And it seems it only counts +1 no matter how much likes a single post gets. And this seems to happen if you're logged in and logged out. Strange! :o

Reply #14

hmm...
Could be a "design choice".
On the board index only the "topic likes" (I've made up that name just now :P) are shown.
Now, the definition of "topic likes" is: the likes gives to the first message.

Let's make an example:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1958.0
Inside the topic you can see that several messages have likes, for a total of 18. The first message has 10 likes, and on the board index you see 10 likes.

Could it fit into what you are experiencing?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.