Skip to main content
Topic: Failed upgrades to 1.1 beta 4 (Read 2789 times) previous topic - next topic

Failed upgrades to 1.1 beta 4

I have created a few copies of my forum just to test the upgrade to 1.1 beta 4.  Every time I run through the upgrade I end up with a broken site.  I am:
1. Copying over the 1.1 beta 4 files
2. Running http://site/install/upgrade.php
3. Go through the upgrade wizard with no errors
4. Tell wizard to delete installation files
5. Browse back to http://site

After step 5 I end up at the installation wizard.  The install folder is not getting deleted.  If I delete the install folder manually, I then end up with a blank site.  Any ideas?  Should I be uninstalling all addons before the upgrade?
Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 05:17:23 pm by txcas

Re: Failed upgrades to 1.1 beta 4

Reply #1

Quote from: txcas – Should I be uninstalling all addons before the upgrade?
I guess this is the first thing to try.

The other problem is that a white page is usually just the webserver not sending out the actual error, you should see in the logs (if you have access to) and see what the actual error is.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele –
Quote from: txcas – Should I be uninstalling all addons before the upgrade?
I guess this is the first thing to try.

The other problem is that a white page is usually just the webserver not sending out the actual error, you should see in the logs (if you have access to) and see what the actual error is.
I cleared the error log before the upgrade.  After the upgrade I end up with the following errors in the log_errors table.
Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 06:05:00 pm by txcas

Reply #3

Update...  I ran repair_settings.php, did not change anything at all and clicked on Save.  That fixed the blank site, but Simple Portal does not work on 1.1 beta 4.

Reply #4

There are two errors:
1) the undefined variable seems due to an addon that is sing variables in language strings, this was not supported in 1.0 as well, so you probably always had that one, should be fixed by the addon author,
2) the "use of loadTemplate to add ..." is probably again an error of an addon (unless some stray loadTemplate was left in elk) and is something that changed in 1.1.
I don't think PHP ends the execution because of a E_USER_DEPRECATED, but you never know.

Anyway, what I was referring was the server logs, that may have caught the error causing the premature end of the execution, things that cannot be recorded by the elkarte error log.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

Thank you.  At least I know now how to fix it.  I will not upgrade my production site until the addons are updated.

Reply #6

Basically, until 1.1 becomes stable, it is not advisable to upgrade to it especially when you rely on certain addons that is not working with it. Running ElkArte 1.1 beta4/rc1 without the non working addons should be fine though.

Reply #7

Quote from: txcas – Thank you.  At least I know now how to fix it.  I will not upgrade my production site until the addons are updated.
Not really, TBH, because I don't think any of the two errors are fatal and resulting in a white page.
The problem is somewhere else. ;)
What version of php are you using?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

I can reproduce this problem with PHP 5.6 or PHP 7.0.  I have two test images and I can reproduce the problem on both.
Amazon Linux
Apache 2.4
MySQL 5.6
PHP 5.6

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Apache 2.4
MariaDB 10.1
PHP 7.0

I will try to repro again and collect the Apache error log.

Reply #9

Just to avoid useless work, did you try the upgrade after having uninstalled all the addons?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele – Just to avoid useless work, did you try the upgrade after having uninstalled all the addons?
With no addons installed the upgrade works.  I then started reinstalling the addons in emulation mode.  The one that breaks the site and creates a blank site is Simple Audio Video Embedder.  The only addon that will not install in emulation mode is Simple Portal.
Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:51:52 am by txcas