Skip to main content
Topic: Add version compatibility to addons site (Read 6074 times) previous topic - next topic

Add version compatibility to addons site

What do you think about the idea to add a field with elkarte version compatibility in addons website? Right now there are some add-ons compatible with 1.1 but you need to check the topic to see if they are compatible or not.
sorry for my bad english

Re: Add version compatibility to addons site

Reply #1

Yes, I prefer to use some other option instead of "Requires: ElkArte 1.0 (+)", since that doesn't tells you if it's compatible with 1.1 in this case.

Reply #2

Most of the addons are in this forum addon board and all users have to do is - ask in the relevant addon topic.

Good interactions as between addon users and authors will help this forum to grow as well as giving good input to other readers.

Reply #3

The addon site will show what the author adds to the "elkversion" field in the yaml file  (the file you commit to the addon site to publish the release).

So if that field says 1.0-1.1 the site shows ........ Requires ElkArte 1.0-1.1 (+)

So starting here, what improvement would you like to see to help?

Reply #4

Quote from: Spuds – So starting here, what improvement would you like to see to help?
maybe a pair of glasses  8) my mistake, scuse me, I didn't notice that field  :-[ :-[
sorry for my bad english

Reply #5

Quote from: d3vcho(); – Yes, I prefer to use some other option instead of "Requires: ElkArte 1.0 (+)", since that doesn't tells you if it's compatible with 1.1 in this case.

This.  There is at least one hooks only addon which will whitescreen 1.1.  The only fixes are manually removing hooks from the DB or restoring a DB backup.  You're right, every admin should make a backup prior, every admin should study up how to do this, every admin should use hosting where they have top level access.  Reality is often far different.  A little info inclusion could avoid much troubles for someone.  And it looks professional!   ;)

Reply #6

And 1.1 should have been backward compatible, but it's not. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

BTW: if you know an addon that doesn't work in 1.1, feel free to post in the topic, it may be worth fixing it. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Simple Portal was the first add-on I tried to install,but had errors, I will post into the topic of sp
sorry for my bad english

Reply #9

Quote from: badmonkey –
Quote from: d3vcho(); – Yes, I prefer to use some other option instead of "Requires: ElkArte 1.0 (+)", since that doesn't tells you if it's compatible with 1.1 in this case.

This.  There is at least one hooks only addon which will whitescreen 1.1.  The only fixes are manually removing hooks from the DB or restoring a DB backup.
You can also delete the addon's files. Its calls will silently be ignored then :D (Only for those without source edits!)
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele – BTW: if you know an addon that doesn't work in 1.1, feel free to post in the topic, it may be worth fixing it. ;D

Done, it's certainly worth a shot!

Quote from: live627 –
You can also delete the addon's files. Its calls will silently be ignored then :D (Only for those without source edits!)

Good to know.  Works perfectly!  That would be great in the docs....;)

Reply #11

Much easier than editing the db :)
LiveGallery - Simple gallery addon for ElkArte

Reply #12

Thats a valid point ... right now the details does not show the version compatibility details and it should.  I opened the issue so its tracked.  

Reply #13

That's why I opened this topic, I googled the add-on name and arrived on the page with full description, I was looking for elkarte version compatibility and it wasn't there.
sorry for my bad english

Reply #14

I can't remember how to post/fix it at the github via PR. I'll go through again latwr and see if I can update all my addons' descriptions including their ElkArte version compatibality, if possible. But first I will update the ones in this forum first.