Skip to main content
Topic: [ADDON] Tabular Categories (Read 17199 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [MOD] Tabular Categories

Reply #30

QuotePlus: please, show me how you want to let themes and addons/mods cooperate.

And that's where it falls down. He doesn't, going by previous discussions. Themes have top banana, mods can go to hell.

http://wedge.org/pub/plugins/7823/post-fields/ (esp. reply #5 onwards)
http://wedge.org/pub/7886/wedge-templating-for-designers/ for example.

Reply #31

There is certainly a lot of room for improvements. I, for one, entirely agree with the principle that the core handles the behavior, functionality, data, and presentation of this data is the job of the theme. I believe SMF is doing it in a measure, but too little.
But this is a goal to tend to. This goal won't of course be any "100% or it means nothing" for obvious reasons. Not in the least that add-ons present things (of course).
I honestly feel it's better if we can keep this discussion constructive, and figure out more ways to improve the situation as left in SMF2.0.

There are already improvements on the path we have chosen, since pre-2.0 even. Hooks, starting up template 'bits' or sections ("building blocks"), the work on layers. Most of the work of Elk has been on the core until recently (afaict), to make it able to be extensible and reusable. Then, we have made some improvements on the template engine and default theme, and there's a lot of work in these areas to still do IMHO. If you have further proposals or improvements, please feel free to share them. If you wish to make them better, do it.

Testing and documenting how to make an add-on, testing how to make a custom theme, and what are the issues cropping up is already of big help, IMHO. :)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #32

Quote from: Arantor –
QuotePlus: please, show me how you want to let themes and addons/mods cooperate.

And that's where it falls down. He doesn't, going by previous discussions. Themes have top banana, mods can go to hell.

http://wedge.org/pub/plugins/7823/post-fields/ (esp. reply #5 onwards)
http://wedge.org/pub/7886/wedge-templating-for-designers/ for example.

Funny that. I worked on TP for a number of years, and think I have an idea of what it means for mods and themes to cooperate AND how to make seamless integrations where possible, work within constraints. True, I favor themes nowadays, because no-one else does and because they appeal the most to me. But from that saying that I don't give a damn about mods, is a typical Arantor argument. The wheel keeps spinning here.. my old arguments, mostly said out of frustration with said individual is used as sort of argument in itself. "look, see here, he said that there!"..like we are in kindergarden or something.

Testmonkey,
you are absolutely right, so i will not stir up things more than I have(it seems). I love working with finding solutions to both areas mod/theme in SMF(or forked SMF as it may be), and improving core as well(to my best capability, I am quite humble about that part). Its just hard to find people that share the vision I see, and I mistakenly though Elkarte people were onto a similar path. But maybe we can learn from each other instead - from a distance.

Reply #33

Quotemostly said out of frustration with said individual is used as sort of argument in itself. "look, see here, he said that there!"..like we are in kindergarden or something.

No, it's more that this is precisely the same debate, yet again, with you banging on about the same thing and still not actually providing anything more than hyperbole to actually support it. Don't just go 'themes should have total control over layout'... show us how it's done, show us how to make it work.

QuoteIts just hard to find people that share the vision I see, and I mistakenly though Elkarte people were onto a similar path

They probably are. But they, like me, appear to have noticed the lack of anything but idealism in what you're proposing. Like I said, like Ant said, it's great if you're building something for just you. Trouble is, none of us here are building things entirely for us but with a view to giving them to other people to play with - which is naturally a constraint.

I'll bow out, leave you and Elkarte to forge a new path if you think you can manage it.

Reply #34

Quote from: Bloc – I love working with finding solutions to both areas mod/theme in SMF(or forked SMF as it may be),.....
Ok, but exactly how do you propose to make it all work? Sooner or later, you'll have to hit a point where some compromise is required. This point will be partly determined by personal preference. I'm all for giving themes as much control as is feasible, but I realise it probably can't be 100% control.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #35

Quote from: Bloc – Its just hard to find people that share the vision I see, and I mistakenly though Elkarte people were onto a similar path.

I actually think we are on a similar path - at least in intentions on results. I'm only saying, constructive != holy wars. :)
Moreover, the path is what you make it be. :)

Elk is what SMF should have done, and it won't. Or to put it simply, the next version of SMF is changing name.
As an Open Source project with open development, Elk is driven by its development community, sharing with everyone who aligns their goals to it. At the end of the day, methinks we all know that code speaks. If there is an issue with what we did so far (which is more than possible), please file an issue, point it out, let us know what, why, and how we could fix it. If there is something you want it to do, do it. ;)
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Re: [ADDON][DEMO] Tabular Categories

Reply #36

Updated the OP with a new download link and a new screeshot matching the new release. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: [ADDON][DEMO] Tabular Categories

Reply #37

This evening while looking at another forum script (don't remember the name and it's a bit too late to go back and find it), I got an idea about this mod.
See the attachment. O:-)

ETA: updated the first message with the new release. :)
Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:57:42 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: [ADDON] Tabular Categories

Reply #38

How do you switch to the sidebar? I couldn't find any settings for the addon.

Reply #39

You should find it in admin > config > addon settings > miscellaneous
"Show the category tabs on the side".
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #40

Nothing there :( I only see the Google Analytics settings under miscellaneous. Perhaps they don't like each other?

Reply #41

Tried to uninstall Google Analytics but that didn't change anything.

Reply #43

Now the checkbox appears and it works. But there is no text to explain the checkbox...

Reply #44

Found another funny thing. If you resize the window after clicking a forum category it will show the full list. Clicking again shows only the category as expected.