Skip to main content
Topic: Summary of my experience on a program elkarte (Read 8073 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Summary of my experience on a program elkarte

Reply #15

Look, I don't need to convince anyone that this software is good and should be used, nothing comes into my pockets. Everybody is free to use the favourite software, even if it's not updated in the last 10 years, it's a choice.

Instead of just replying "it's not working" try to be more specific, give more info and be more constructive, otherwise I can simply reply "WORKS FOR ME!" and you can already see that in the attached image. If you have problems with the addon describe better the problems you are facing into the dedicated topic, I can't guess how you set it up.

As for the permissions, same thing, they already exists into Elkarte (Administrator, Global Moderator and Local Moderator), if something is missing you can create a new membergroup call it as you like and assign all the permissions you want. Is that difficult? You also have an admin panel and a moderator panel.

Reply #16

Quote from: radu81 – Look, I don't need to convince anyone that this software is good and should be used, nothing comes into my pockets. Everybody is free to use the favourite software, even if it's not updated in the last 10 years, it's a choice.

Instead of just replying "it's not working" try to be more specific, give more info and be more constructive, otherwise I can simply reply "WORKS FOR ME!" and you can already see that in the attached image. If you have problems with the addon describe better the problems you are facing into the dedicated topic, I can't guess how you set it up.

As for the permissions, same thing, they already exists into Elkarte (Administrator, Global Moderator and Local Moderator), if something is missing you can create a new membergroup call it as you like and assign all the permissions you want. Is that difficult? You also have an admin panel and a moderator panel.
Well, I am a regular member of any group I will be ...?

I did not work with me, I do not know what the problem is?
Description The section title is still used?
I told you I liked the program very much, but I do not want to use it until I find solutions to all problems ..

Reply #17

Open source program and I can not delete the Moderator  group , Not even I can change the colors??
There is no value for an open source program named
And compulsorily imposed on the names and ranks, this is not called an open source system (I apologize to you for this word) What is the reason for preventing the user from deleting any group he wants?

Reply #18

The Moderator group is a special group for local board moderators only and can't be deleted.
Special groups are guests, admins, board moderators.

Reply #19

Quote from: vbgamer45 – The Moderator group is a special group for local board moderators only and can't be deleted.
Special groups are guests, admins, board moderators.

Only the Administrators group is supposed to be deleted
The rest of the groups can be deleted and new groups built upon the wish of the site owner
Not according to the programmer
Each location is different from the other in need

Reply #20

Quote from: SHANKS – (I hope that the speech will not be taken as complaining or vilification of the workers on the program)
Sure, no problem.
Hope my answer will not come too harsh.

Quote from: SHANKS – 1- The Control Panel for Items in it is not organized and interfered under to be arranged.
Not sure what you mean.
I guess you mean that you cannot find what you want in the place you think it should be, probably because it was put in a place someone's else logic found it logic to be put in.

Quote from: SHANKS – 2- There is no map of the site to present it to the search engines
Is a site map still a thing nowadays?
Isn't it some sort of old crap page-ranking-era ideology that would help ranking?

Quote from: SHANKS – 3- Sections Links and Topics is not popular. The system of friendly links should be added
I'm not sure how the first sentence is linked to the second, actually I'm not sure what the first sentence means, so I'll answer only to the second: yeah, yeah semantic urls all the way down to the grave and back. [/sarcasm] 2.0 will have them, for the time being there is an addon somewhere, not sure where.
Really, sometimes google made the web a better place, but with all this "SEO" crap made it a sad place.

Quote from: SHANKS – 4- Description of the sections and topics that do not exist and the titles are used for the description and this is a wrong way
Who the heck is still caring about page description?
Not even google I guess.
Anyway, in a topic you don't have anything that resembles a "good" description of a page, so any string of text is good enough and serves its purpose (that is make people that care about description happy to have a description).

Quote from: SHANKS – 5- A group system is not clear and the powers of each group cannot be controlled by example (group of visitors - group of members - group of monitors - group of supervisors - group of prohibitors - group awaiting activation by e-mail - group awaiting activation by management)
Sorry, but on that one I think that you have just not spent enough time learning it and just assumed that the permissions should work the way VB works.
That's not the case. You can do anything with groups in Elk/SMF, you just have to spend some time actually understanding all the ins and outs of the system (that being pretty "flexible" is also pretty complex to grasp at first, especially for people used to other ways of dealing with permissions).
The only thing probably managed differently is:
group awaiting activation by e-mail - group awaiting activation by management
for which there is no "group" (because technically they are not even members yet), but there is a page on which you can see the members waiting activation and the members waiting approval. And since there isn't so much to do with members waiting activation (resend email, delete, approve), a dedicated group doesn't really help much when you have a page on which you can do the same (truth to be said, this page is a little limited and for example you have to send emails or delete only "page by page" rather than all in one go).

Quote from: SHANKS – 6- Special ranks and titles cannot be added and controlled so that special titles can be granted to specific members
You can grant titles to any single user, there is a field "Custom Title" in each profile with which you can give a custom title to any single user of your forum.
True you can only see the "main group" each member belongs to and in case the post-based group.
But... the 90's have long gone, unless... oh, right anime and games forums. Okay, never mind I had to deal with this too, no problem. :D
Actually, I wrote this one:
https://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=1637.0
TBH I'm not sure if it still work with 1.1, it should though, I don't remember any change that could break it... I think.

Quote from: SHANKS – 7- There is no additional page system
Yes, there are addon for that.

By and good luck you too!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

@emanuele
Let's agree
Visitors and non-users do not need a group.
Ok members where's their group?
How are they without a group? How to add them specific permissions and a certain color?
========================
title user
I do not speak on the knowledge of the member.
We speak at the address below the member as shown in the pictures :
https://download.anime-network.net/uploads/158750886527521.jpg
https://download.anime-network.net/uploads/158750886532632.jpg
https://download.anime-network.net/uploads/15875088653413.jpg

Why do you have to force everyone in the Administrator group to take the same title and cannot be reconciled with the general manager, the deputy general, or the assistant general manager?
If we think about how the site founder dubbed a new member?

Reply #22

I googled and found the forum where you took those screenshots, those are post count member groups, and I can replicate the same behaviour in elkarte, have a look here https://sss.ovh/elk116/index.php?topic=7.0
sorry for my bad english

Reply #23

Quote from: radu81 – I googled and found the forum where you took those screenshots, those are post count member groups, and I can replicate the same behaviour in elkarte, have a look here https://sss.ovh/elk116/index.php?topic=7.0
This cannot be done in a elkarte
You must create more than 10 groups in order to distribute a special title
It is not a good idea to create a group in order to give a member a specific title

Whereas in some programs such as vb and xf and mybb
You do not need to create a group or title ,, just enter to edit my profile and put the title you want
You will not need group extensions to get a specific title

Reply #24

In this case Custom Title does the job for you, have a look at meber test6, it has a custom title I added as admin and he cannot delete that.
In elkarte there are 2 fields:
- Personal text (could be edited by member or admin)
- Custom text (edited by admin)

To use Custom Titles go to Admin > Configuration > Features and Options > General
and enable "Enable custom titles"
Switching Custom Titles on will allow members with the relevant permission to create a special title for themselves. This will be shown underneath the name.

Example:
Jeff
Cool Guy
Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 07:14:14 pm by radu81
sorry for my bad english

Reply #25

QuoteIn this case Custom Title does the job for you, have a look at meber test6, it has a custom title I added as admin and he cannot delete that.
In elkarte there are 2 fields:
- Personal text (could be edited by member or admin)
- Custom text (edited by admin)

I want to evaluate it on my website. How is that possible?
Possible proportional method.

QuoteTo use Custom Fields go to Admin > Configuration > Features and Options > General
and enable "Enable custom titles"
Switching Custom Titles on will allow members with the relevant permission to create a special title for themselves. This will be shown underneath the name.

Example:
Jeff
Cool Guy

I know this way and I stopped it. I want the amendment. It will be through the addictive control panel. He is the one who does this as shown in his pictures from the control panel.

Reply #26

Sorry, I'm afraid I did not understand your previous post. I guess you are using Google Translate...
Is Custom Title what you need?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #27

I am talking about title under the name of the members
For example:
admin 1
admin 2
I want to give (admin 1) his own title(Administrator) and (admin 2) a special title (Senior Moderator).
elkarte Program:
(admin 1) and (admin 2) cannot have two different titles and are in the same group.
- A new group must be created and transferred (admin 1) to this group in order to obtain a title (Administrator).
- And create another new group and transfer (admin 2) to this group until he gets the title (Senior Moderator) .
How many groups do I need so that I can give each member a title?
With 10 moderators I will need 10 groups in order for each supervisor to be given a special title ؟

vb3 program:
You don't need to do these long steps.
Each manager can be granted a title of his own and they are in the same group by modifying through the access control panel the member information to grant the appropriate title

Reply #28

Quote from: SHANKS – With 10 moderators I will need 10 groups in order for each supervisor to be given a special title ؟
 you can keep the "Global Moderator" title and add a different custom text for your 10 moderators. I understand it's not the same thing, but it's a solution, otherwise you will need a different group.

I'm just curious, but do you really need 10 different kind of moderators?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #29

So far that I know, there is no automatic title except for post-based-title.

As said by @radu81, you may need to add title to a member if not using group, but if you use group, you assign member to that group.

If you don't want to assign them manually, you can allow member to choose when you create the group.

You will have to select your allowed administrative power for a particular permission-based-group in contrast with normal-member-group.

At the end, you still need to creatively create the groups that you have in mind first.

That are the default in ElkArte.

By the way, as said by @radu81 I think we might have some communication problems but what I posted earlier still apply. :P