Skip to main content
Topic: where is the allow/disallow use of email address for registraion (Read 3019 times) previous topic - next topic

where is the allow/disallow use of email address for registraion

I have looked and looked and I can not locate the admin setting that determines "reuse" of  already used email address for forum registration.
Would someone please "point" it out to me?

Thank you.

Re: where is the allow/disallow use of email address for registraion

Reply #1

Simply there is none, it's a very major security issue to re-use an already used email address.
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #3

Not really, I think you should read it again O:-)

Reply #4

Using the IP would mean you limit the access to the account. If I go from the US to Asia, I probably wouldn't have access to my account. That's a problem.

You can always hide your email address. In fact, that's the default.

You can always create a mod so it works your way. If you need any hooks we can always add them. Feel free to ask if you need help.

Reply #5

However, the action=reminder would be broken anyways, and it's definitely a security issue.

Reply #6

Quote from: derived – go get another free email account and you won't have to deal with the flaws
great coding fix, relaying on a trouble 3rd party
That's not really something to "fix", the idea is really to have 1 email => 1 account, full stop.
And, as far as I know, it's the solution for... 99.9% of the websites out there.
I am in Italy, I have seen IPs that range from 2.something (mainly mobile devices) to 97.something (or more), rely on any range of IP to bind a user to a specific account would make ElkArte completely useless.

If you have any viable solution feel free to propose it.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Quote from: emanuele – That's not really something to "fix", the idea is really to have 1 email => 1 account, full stop.
And, as far as I know, it's the solution for... 99.9% of the websites out there.
+1
sorry for my bad english

Reply #8

And if you really need to have the same email, in that messages go to the same address, you can use the gmail trick.

As far as gmail is concerned,
Code: [Select]
auser@gmail.com, a.user@gmail.com, auser+admin@gmail.com and a.user+anotheramin@googlemail.com
All resolve to the same inbox.  We never prevented this perversion, although the code is in place to do so.