Skip to main content
Topic: Where can I sell a theme? (Read 14329 times) previous topic - next topic

Where can I sell a theme?

Assuming I'm working on some ElkArte theme but I could need some donations: Is there a place for that? :)
-

Re: Where can I sell a theme?

Reply #1

Well, I for one, would think to not sell, but place a donation button somewhere at a download page.

Reply #2

Pfff. People don't donate. I am a translator for quite a bunch of Open Source projects and I place a donation button wherever I can. Don't even dare to think anyone would care. :(
-

Reply #3

As always there are good people and not so good people. And again, rich enough and not rich enough. I guess a thread with screen shots will be useful in your case. I am sure there are a lot of people who are ready to pay for the right theme. Thanks for joining in expanding the theme base.

Reply #4

I am not against the selling of themes and dont get discouraged but I think it is hard to sell one unless you are very well known theme developer.

Reply #5

In ElkArte's case, one of the things that make me think I have a chance is the very small number of available themes. AFAICS there is no one who has a "supported theme" unless it's part of ElkArte's distribution.
-

Reply #6

1. ElkArte is not yet as well known, as other forum software, so, that also is going to affect whether or not people would pay for a theme.

2. There are several themes, on ElkArte's theme's site. http://themes.elkarte.net/

Some are just variants, and some are full themes.

3. With the changes yet to come, I'm not too sure it's worth paying for a theme, that may not be usable, for 1.1, but that's just me. ;)

Reply #7

Updating a theme over larger changes is something I've been doing with WordPress for quite a decade now. I guess ElkArte wouldn't be much more work.  :D
-

Reply #8

Hopefully, it won't be like when I made themes for SMF 2.0 Bravo 4.... ;)
The changes from that, to 2.0 RC1 was even drastic. Let alone RC1 to final... LOL

Reply #9

SMF is a different beast. A nearly dead beast, while we're at it.

BTW, I thought you left the board scene?
-

Reply #10

I left the SMF scene, for good reasons.
I totally agree with your first line.

Especially, in light of the drastic team changes, and so many of the good team members leaving.

Reply #11

Quote from: forumsearch0r – Assuming I'm working on some ElkArte theme but I could need some donations: Is there a place for that? :)
I don't think there is any at the moment.
CrimeS has set up its own site: http://elkartestudio.com/index.php

I never thought deeply about how to handle such cases. I (personal opinions coming) wouldn't try to setup a marketplace similar to xenforo (even only because it requires so much more energies than what we have right now and also because it would require some accounting that we are not in the position to deal with), I'm not against promotion of paid works here and the addon site should be able to redirect to any website for download.

Were you thinking to something in particular you would like to have?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #12

what about themeforest?
sorry for my bad english

Reply #13

I consider setting up a website for themes but it's just one I'm starting with, probably it would require at least 3 different themes before this will pay out ... :)

All I need is some "download free version / donate with PayPal for an unbranded version" choice or something. I could do this here, but not as sophisticated as it should be.

What is a themeforest?
-

Reply #14

ThemeForest is a website where you can sell digital goods. Themes, as you would have guessed. They charge a commission for using their space. ThemeForest is established and popular for good reason.