Skip to main content
Topic: That theme is WHITE! (Read 25334 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: That theme is WHITE!

Reply #30

emanuele doesn't care what people like :P

This theme was born as an experiment for me to play with removing stuff that is not strictly useful and make a theme that was focused even more than Curve/Penguin II on the content.
Then TestMonkey stolen it and made the default here, though in my mind it is still my theme and I'm going to remove (and add :P) all the crap I want experimenting different options. And on top of everything: it will maintain a white (or very close to white) base color, if you don't like it don't use it (or fork it). :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #31

To be honest, that theme is absolutely great and should definitely be part of the core 8) Yes, t is too "cold" to be used on a website but it is a perfect base for a custom theme.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #32

Pushed the last ideas to a new branch:
https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/tree/drift
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #33

Quote from: TE – To be honest, that theme is absolutely great and should definitely be part of the core 8) Yes, t is too "cold" to be used on a website but it is a perfect base for a custom theme.
You mean, the white theme? The perfect base for a custom theme should be the default Elk theme. Yes, there are trade-offs with eye-candy and even presence of functionality at-hand. But if it is easily customizable indeed, then creation and use of custom themes for sites will be less of a problem as they've been for SMF.
Just a few thoughts.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #34

Quote from: TestMonkey – You mean, the white theme? The perfect base for a custom theme should be the default Elk theme. Yes, there are trade-offs with eye-candy and even presence of functionality at-hand. But if it is easily customizable indeed, then creation and use of custom themes for sites will be less of a problem as they've been for SMF.
Just a few thoughts.
Yep, I meant the white theme :) It is extremly simple to colorize, you don't need to spend hours  just to remove the old colors from the theme and add some fancy new ones..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #35

Well, that's mostly Ant's job, not mine.
I removed some other, that's true.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #36

Back on the theme, on the last version I upped the #top_section is position:fixed, now I'm considering if move the remaining menu elements there would be a terrible thing to do...
 emanuele whistles innocently

Independently, I'm considering to re-do the header too: I don't like much to have logo on the right and name on the left (or the other way around), I think it would make more sense to have:
Code: [Select]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
     Logo                                |                                  News fader [2]
name/description [1]                     |                                         |A| [3]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
link tree
rest of the page

[1]: I'd add also an admin setting to change some basic aspect (i.e. a bigger or smaller font depending if it is a name or a description).
[2]: news fader right-aligned and since it would be there on all pages, I would removed it from the board index also considering that the code is rather small (~1 KB uncompressed removing the header, more or less a 2% of the script-js, not that much)
[3]: that would be the collapse button

ETA: also about the position:fixed, most likely I'll changed it back to what it was and then use some jquery to show it when in the middle of the page moving the mouse close to the top of the screen.
Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:27:48 am by emanuele
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #37

The experiments go on:

At least that way the menu is actually useful! :D :P

The news block is the news fader (I should add an option to make the news random.)

Maybe the "hello" thing could go up next to the avatar...would probably make sense.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.