Skip to main content
Topic: keep getting 500 errors or connection errors (Read 2552 times) previous topic - next topic

keep getting 500 errors or connection errors

every so many loads all members are encountering 500 errors or can not load the page error. have 1.0.4 a handful of plugins.

anyone else encounter such a issue

site: http://www.realmsofmagick.net/

Re: keep getting 500 errors or connection errors

Reply #1

Welcome to Elkarte! Usually 500 errors are due to server issues, did you ask your host yet? For anyone reading I actually had a failed to decode error on his site.
A quick Google search shows that it's often a font causing it, so I am wondering if you changed anything, a bit more info would be a good start ;)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #2

yes its a decode error mostly. font huh? what caused the decode error for you

Reply #3

Welcome around! :D

Most likely the problem is related to mod_security, you should really talk with your host to try to fix the issue.

There is also something else weird about the setup of the server (I think), because the session id that should be stored in the cookies after the first (actually the second) page load is always added to the url. I'm not sure why this happens though.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

i just disabled mod security for the site just now. see if that helps

Reply #5

Seems to have done the trick :)
~ SimplePortal Support Team ~

Reply #6

Had a couple of more server errors, but not as frequent

Reply #7

Yeah strange ...

I got a couple of 500 errors (which generally mean server config issue) when I first hit the site and then it was all clear and I was unable to get them again. 

Are there any interesting entries in either your Apache or PHP error logs for your server?  If it was on every page load I'd look at your .htaccess file but since its sporadic something else is timing out on the server.

You can try http://tools.elkarte.net/2014/12/support-info/ to gather additional information about your setup, may reveal something that may help in the debugging.