Skip to main content
Topic: Custom 404 Page (Read 1998 times) previous topic - next topic

Custom 404 Page

Such a feature will be great.  8)

Re: Custom 404 Page

Reply #1

Yes, that would be nice. Ideally it would come with certain stuff included, such as a basic site menu and a search window.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Custom 404 Page

Reply #2

Had another idea. I have made custom 404 pages before (manually coded from scratch). They're not that difficult to do, since the required templating is quite simple and the CSS and images can be called from the site's default theme.

The only catch is that it's best to not rely on the db, since it may be required to work when the db is offline. That means everything should be hard coded into a flat file, which might make things slightly awkward when it comes to setting up a gui for making the page.

Anyway, that leads into something else. The something else I have done is to write custom pages specifically for maintenance mode=2 (or db offline for whatever reason). The old default code for that was unappealing (visually) and rather uninformative, so I made up a simple template that had hard-coded calls to default theme stuffz and included a message (also hard-coded) that actually told you what the current problem really was (assuming the admin remembered to manual update said message).

This is something that tends not to be used very often, but is rather nice to have when it's wanted. 
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P