Skip to main content
Topic: Idea: preset naughty word lists for languages files. (Read 2089 times) previous topic - next topic

Idea: preset naughty word lists for languages files.

Ok, so just to prove I'm not a total deranged all the time, I had me an idea.

Elk haz word censor thingy, but if anyone wants to enable said thingy they have to give it a list of naughty words to work with.

Given that any admin who wants it enabled may well be a prissy Sunday school teacher who is likely to have a coronary and/or aneurysm at the sight of naughty words, we could be nice to them. Dunno why, but thought I should mention the possibility. :P

So the languages files (or sumpin) could be set up with pre-made lists of the most common naughty words in the relevant language, along with a generic conversion for each word (like ***** for instance). That means if Miss Princess My Little Pony wants to set herself up a nice forum where everyone is nice, she can enable word censoring without having to horrify the life out of herself by typing lots of naughty words. As soon as she enables censoring, the list becomes active.

Elk Care Bears Inc. :P
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Re: Idea: preset naughty word lists for languages files.

Reply #1

I think SMF has some plugins like this. Pretty much just adds a bunch of words to the filter.

Reply #2

Ant, your sensitivity is commendable! Save that Sunday School teacher from gasping in horror. lol
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #3

Are we sure this isn't just A.n.t. looking for an excuse to write out that file and submit it for "approval"?

Reply #4

No. I actually thought it might be a useful addition for some people.

(although I admit that I would be eminently qualified for writing the English version)
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P