Skip to main content
Topic: Send this topic to... (Read 8046 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from Re: IRC

Send this topic to...

Quote from: TestMonkey – (09:59:29 PM) Norv: emanuele: would you like us to integrate https://github.com/Oldiesmann/SMF21/commit/341c46d5457f5cf0cbb45d2801c06518609d3f01 ?
(09:59:51 PM) Norv: I see you made report_sent a layer
(10:00:50 PM) Norv: TBH, I was thinking (well, I have a branch somewhere) to remove send topic, and make it addon.
(10:03:35 PM) Norv: ... which is probably not a good idea.
(10:05:21 PM) emanuele: Why not?
(10:05:42 PM) emanuele: O:-)
(10:07:53 PM) Norv: Send topics - make available content - in different formats and through different applications, is imo a good idea. It's just that 'send topic to a friend' kinda strikes me as mostly... pffft. Not the way content is shared since ten years ago :P
(10:10:30 PM) Norv: Wants remove, lol?
(10:16:09 PM) emanuele: I've never used it and I...
https://github.com/emanuele45/Dialogo/commit/53b7e03063a46832969626b5ccf23593fd8ca545
Unfinished and untested, but if we want to leave it at least it should be something like that. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: Send this topic to...

Reply #1

Reviving this topic for a second: it may even be worth rename the button to "share this topic" and add there some more things like FB, Twitter, other aggregators or similar things (if they still exist lol).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Quote from: emanuele – Reviving this topic for a second: it may even be worth rename the button to "share this topic" and add there some more things like FB, Twitter, other aggregators or similar things (if they still exist lol).
+1
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #3

Quote from: emanuele – Reviving this topic for a second: it may even be worth rename the button to "share this topic" and add there some more things like FB, Twitter, other aggregators or similar things (if they still exist lol).

You could always make it plugin-able so that anyone who knows the Share API structure for a site (example 1, example 2) can add it themselves or easily make a mod to do it. That way you don't have to plan for everything at the outset, which you'll ultimately fail at, given the different localities and regional sites that people use.

Reply #4

I like that. :D
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #6

emanuele forgot about the plan here... lol
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #7

Remove that feature for these reasons:
1) nobody uses it
2) nobody uses a web form to send email to a friend unless it's their browser-based mail client
3) the only reason I can see for a website to have something like that is to collect email addresses of my friends. Scary.
4) I can send an email from your mail server using an email that isn't mine... that's a SPAM hole
5) since that is a concern, even if I sent mail from this server with my Gmail account, it won't be received because of DKIM. So, if nobody is going to get the mail, is there a point in sending it?
6) once again... nobody uses it.

Reply #8

I think it is only on this site, but the image for the icon is broken when you click "Send this topic"

Reply #9

Quote from: groundup – Remove that feature for these reasons:
1) nobody uses it
2) nobody uses a web form to send email to a friend unless it's their browser-based mail client
3) the only reason I can see for a website to have something like that is to collect email addresses of my friends. Scary.
4) I can send an email from your mail server using an email that isn't mine... that's a SPAM hole
5) since that is a concern, even if I sent mail from this server with my Gmail account, it won't be received because of DKIM. So, if nobody is going to get the mail, is there a point in sending it?
6) once again... nobody uses it.

This is why I posted my suggestion above. I'd be much more likely to share a topic with a friend on Facebook than sending an email. The only people I have to use email with to share stuff are my parents, and I don't send them message board links.

Plug this in to Facebook, Google+ and Twitter for starters, and then let people add their own sharing plugins. If Facebook, Google and Twitter already have the code mostly written for you, it honestly can't be that difficult to add this in.