Skip to main content
Topic: Migration of SMF 2.0.7 into ElkArte Beta2 - problems and bugs (Read 8647 times) previous topic - next topic

Migration of SMF 2.0.7 into ElkArte Beta2 - problems and bugs

We migrated a SMF 2.0.7 into ElkArte Beta2. We wanted to test a lot of stuff, but we are experiencing - for us - a big problem right at the beginning. On day two of our test periode ElkArte seems to not want us to post any messages any more.

Two of three testers cannot post any message, no answer and no new thread, also no poll, no matter what way they start (quick answer or normal editor). One test person can post a message, but only if she uses quick reply.

Error message is:

QuoteThe message has the following error or errors that must be corrected before continuing:Your session timed out while posting. Please try to re-submit your message.

We tried to re-submit. We refreshed the browser window. We deleted our text and wrote it again. We logged out and logged in again. But all without a positive result. Any ideas?

Re: Migration of SMF 2.0.7 into ElkArte Beta2 - problems and bugs

Reply #1

Are you using APC by chance?
Have a look at this topic:
http://www.elkarte.net/community/index.php?topic=742.0
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

APC = admin password check? Is disabled in the backend.

Reply #3

APC is a server-side Caching system ..
Try to disable the Caching in Elkarte:
Admin - Configuration - Server Settings - Caching -> Caching Level should be "no Caching"
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #4

lol ACP...

It is "no caching" since the beginning.

Reply #5

emanuele blames the keyboard as usual. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #6

Old german saying: "The problem sits in front of the monitor!"

Please feel free to suggest any other ideas.  ;)

Reply #7

Okay, back to your first description:
Quote from: Jorin – On day two of our test periode ElkArte seems to not want us to post any messages any more.
So on "day one" it was working?

Quote from: Jorin – Two of three testers cannot post any message, no answer and no new thread, also no poll, no matter what way they start (quick answer or normal editor). One test person can post a message, but only if she uses quick reply.
So it's only some of your users, right?
Are they in any particular group with some particular permissions?
Do they have any particular option enabled or disabled?

More on the technical side: can you upload a phpinfo and share the link? (If you don't want to put it on the public board, feel free to send me a PM.)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

Maybe a problem with database column sizes? Check that too.

Reply #9

If I recall,  the APC problem is with the opcode area of the cache which is really a server setting. 

Turning it off in the cache area of ElkArte will prevent us from writing data to the cache but the code will still be accelerated as APC is still active.

When you go to Admin->Main->Support and Credits ... under Support information, if APC is listed, it is installed and could cause problems.

Reply #10

Unless 'apc.stat = 0' it will check if the file has been modified.

Reply #11

TE mentioned the following in our SMF support forum:

Quote1) Kann es sein, daß der Cookie Name identisch mit dem vom SMF ist? Ändere den mal im ElkArte.
2) Alternativ schau mal nach, ob Sessions in der DB oder im Filesystem gespeichert werden.
3) Schick mir mal einen Link zu einer phpinfo(); möglicherweise ist der session_save_path fim PHP alsch konfiguriert.

1) Cookie name the same as in migrated SMF forum? No, it isn't. The cookie name in ElkArte is different.
2) Sessions saved in database or file system? TE, do you mean "Enable local storage of cookies"? This is not activated.
3) Please link to a phpinfo(); -> See below!  ;)

Yes, we made some postings on day one without errors.

Quote from: emanuele – So it's only some of your users, right?
Are they in any particular group with some particular permissions?
Do they have any particular option enabled or disabled?

Three people are testing, two can't post anything, one can only with quick reply. The both who cannot post (me included) are admins, the one who can with quick reply only is global moderator. I have another account to test with, could make it ordinary member or anything else, but had no time yet to try it with this account.

Quote from: emanuele – More on the technical side: can you upload a phpinfo and share the link? (If you don't want to put it on the public board, feel free to send me a PM.)

I will send the link to you and TE as PM.

Quote from: groundup – Maybe a problem with database column sizes? Check that too.

How can I check this? Compare any database table preferences in PHPMyAdmin with the source database of SMF?

Edit: It seems my co admin can post via quick reply too. I cannot. We are not sure right now, but are working on it to get this point clear.

Edit2: Anyone can post via quick reply today. WTF?

Reply #12

Odd, odd.
Are you using English or German?
I'm asking because this evening, while testing Arabic for RTL support my localhost started throwing session verification errors during the logout... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Scratch the above, mine it's another bug (related to cache level 3).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

It seems to be fixed by TE. Maybe he can check the download package I used as it was an old Beta 1, but should be a Beta 2.  :-X