Skip to main content
Topic: [WIP] Xydre - Modern fully-responsive theme for Elkarte (Read 16851 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: [WIP] Modern responsive theme for my community

Reply #15

emanuele loves that topic view! nods
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #16

I need help with Git!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to version control. I was wondering if any of the devs here could help me find a way to share this theme on GitHub, where I can also merge-in changes to the default theme from the Elkarte repo?

I want to be able to make sure the Xydre theme keeps up with any additions and changes in the main repo, but I have absolutely no idea how to achieve it.

Reply #17

hmm...
Keep in-synch the theme may me a bit tricky even with github, at least in the "conventional" way.

Now I'm a bit in a hurry, I'll come back later...
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #18

Quote from: emanuele – hmm...
Keep in-synch the theme may me a bit tricky even with github, at least in the "conventional" way.

Now I'm a bit in a hurry, I'll come back later...

I guess there's always the manual option of just side-by-side comparison with the RC1 release, then push to it's own repo.

Just wanted to make it a bit easier to merge-in changes that are required for new features in the core.

Re: [WIP] Xydre - Modern fully-responsive theme for Elkarte

Reply #19

I manually compared every file from the deault theme and merged-in appropriate updates and changes. Repackaged the Xydre theme into a proper 3rd party theme folder and removed all the files that were identical to default.

Theme viewable at http://beta.xydre.com

I'll be pushing the theme to it's own repo on GitHub as soon as I can work out a licence to suit it :)

Reply #20

Heck, sorry, I lost track of that... :-[

If you want to keep your theme in-synch with the default, the only way I can think of is to use a branch.
Let me explain it a bit more in details.
Small warning I'm doing other 3/4 things and I may mess one of them, and it may be this one, dunno yet. lol

Git has branches. Branches are... you can think at them like copies of the entire code that can "live" independently (mostly).
So, "master" is the branch that usually holds the same code and the "central" repository.
If you create another branch, let's say "Xydre", there you can do your edits and commit (the smaller the commit the easier to merge later) the default theme the way you want.
Every time the central repo is updated, then you can:
  • pull the changes on the master branch,
  • merge the changes from master to your Xydre branch.
Then, when you want to pack the release, you can just add your theme-info.xml and create the zip with the files in the Xydre branch.
The problem doing it this way is that it will not be easy to find out which files you actually have to pack, because in the Xydre branch you will have all the templates, and not only those you are modifying.
This is the messy part.

Just to be sure, if you want to compare manually, there are software like WinMerge that can do most of the work for you. :)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #21

Thanks for the great post emanuele :)

I was originally working on it as a branch, but as you say, it leaves me having to manually pick the correct files to package. I think it's probably just as easy for me to maintain the theme as a separate entity and compare the files with the default on version changes.

I used a fantastic application from the Debian repo called Meld. It's essentially the same as WinMerge.

Reply #22

emanuele takes note.
I'm using Diffuse and/or KDiff3, but I don't really like any of them... :-\
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #23

Looks amazing! Great job!  :o  :)

Although I don't like the avatar section in a thread, I think it's somehow too big. Not so compressed and compact like the design in other sections. And I don't like the numbers of the pages a thread has in board index. Also too big. The stats page of a user seems to have some problems on the IE I have to use here at my office. But thats maybe only a problem of my browser here. Oh, and the sub boards and page numbers of a thread on forum index seems too big also. But that can sure be all fixed in your css file?

But all the rest is really fantastic! Please release it so I can use it!  ;)

Reply #24

I would grab this theme the first thing. I love bluish shades.

Reply #25

Very simple and lovely theme! Great job!

Reply #26

Quote from: Jorin – Looks amazing! Great job!  :o  :)

Although I don't like the avatar section in a thread, I think it's somehow too big. Not so compressed and compact like the design in other sections. And I don't like the numbers of the pages a thread has in board index. Also too big. The stats page of a user seems to have some problems on the IE I have to use here at my office. But thats maybe only a problem of my browser here. Oh, and the sub boards and page numbers of a thread on forum index seems too big also. But that can sure be all fixed in your css file?

Thanks! :) Yeah, the topic section isn't quite finished yet. That has a fair bit of work left to do, since I want the avatar and username to move to be above the post for mobile screens, so I'll probably play around with the sizes and style when I do that.

Quote from: meetdilip – I would grab this theme the first thing. I love bluish shades.

It's very easy to change the colour scheme too, since the CSS is compiled using SASS, so it's just a case of changing the $primary-color and $secondary-color variables, and SASS sorts out all the shades for you :)

Quote from: CrimeS – Very simple and lovely theme! Great job!

Thanks!

I'll continue my work on the theme as soon as I've finished the implementation of HybridAuth. I need people to be able to login with social accounts as a priority over design at the moment.

Reply #27

Great work! :)
-

Reply #28

Not compatible with version 1.0 :(
No found.

Reply #29

Not compatible with anything at the moment, sorry! Real life (medical) stuff caught up with me, so I'm on a bit of a hiatus from the project. I hope to be back soon to complete this theme and the HybridAuth plugin :)