Skip to main content
Topic: shorten Urls.. (Read 9638 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: shorten Urls..

Reply #15

If you're doing it purely on saving, you only have to accept the lookup penalty the first time. (Though that gets into a situation in itself, over whether you link to a private topic in a public board, the title potentially would be 'leaked')

I hate to say it but what FB does is pretty slick... it goes to get previews/whatever while you're still posting.

Reply #16

Yes I understand that it's a one hit thing, but it'd be a PITA to have timeouts just because some external site you wanted to link to was being unresponsive.

And linking to private topics in public boards is a moderation thing.
Master of Expletives: Now with improved family f@&king friendliness! :D

Sources code: making easy front end changes difficult since 1873. :P

Reply #17

I was mostly concentrating on the internal links angle - the lookup is not particularly expensive to do and even then it's still only once per save.

You're right, the leaking aspect is a moderation thing. I'm just naturally wary about users griping about the software being broken when it isn't.

Reply #18

Quote from: Arantor – I hate to say it but what FB does is pretty slick... it goes to get previews/whatever while you're still posting.
Ah yes, so does G+, for the first link, and it is a quite cool behavior I'd say.
The best moment for testing your PR is right after you merge it. Can't miss with that one.

Reply #19

I think this was not implemented, right?
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #20

I don't think so, we should add the css since thats safe and clean.  I'll look to convert the mod over to Elk so we have that to play with.

Reply #21

Yep, yep, I was thinking about the simple css-shortening, sorry is I didn't explain better. ;)
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.