Skip to main content
Topic: Flarum (Read 11417 times) previous topic - next topic

Flarum

The admin of a board I am registered thinks about leaving SMF and using Flarum in the future. Flarum looks really nice though! What do you think about it? It seems to be totally different to board software I know like SMF or ElkArte.  :o

I will surely test it, the admin installed a test board for us.  :)

Re: Flarum

Reply #1

take this into consideration:

QuoteNote: As of 0.1.0-beta.3, Flarum utilizes Composer to manage its dependencies and extensions. This means that Flarum cannot be installed on hosts without SSH (command-line) access. Rest assured that we are planning to address this in the future and make sure that Flarum is accessible to everyone. In the meantime, if you want to run Flarum, you will need to find a host that permits SSH access.
There are a few things that you will need to have set up in order to run Flarum:
  • A web server: Apache (with mod_rewrite), Nginx, or Lighttpd
  • PHP 5.5+ with the following extensions: mbstring, pdo_mysql, openssl, json, gd, dom, fileinfo
  • MySQL 5.5+
  • SSH (command-line) access
sorry for my bad english

Reply #2

I already have some sort of that idea and I think a good coder can do that via addon. It similar to recent post or recent topic or recent replies only they are put on the front page, ajaxify, simple css etc.

Reply #3

Sorry to be a spoil sport. Isn't it bad to discuss another ( competing ) product on a forum's official community ?

Reply #4

Quote from: meetdilip – Sorry to be a spoil sport. Isn't it bad to discuss another ( competing ) product on a forum's official community ?
Why should it be?
Are we (the community as a whole) afraid that people will jump the ship just because they read "Flarum" here? To me they are free to change, I'm not here to tie anyone to ElkArte.
I'm even available to discuss the use of OpenImporter to migrate from and to Flarum.

Quote from: Jorin – The admin of a board I am registered thinks about leaving SMF and using Flarum in the future. Flarum looks really nice though! What do you think about it? It seems to be totally different to board software I know like SMF or ElkArte.  :o 
It really boils down to what the admin is looking for.
Of course Flarum is indeed more similar to nodebb and discourse than the "classic" PHP-based solution.
Based on the feedback I got so far I've always been cautious adding such kind of features to Elk, because reading at sm.org before and here after, I always got mixed feelings about things like infinite scrolling and board-less forums (i.e. categories posts based on explicit or "automatic" tags).
But, if people reached the point where things like that are nice to have, I wouldn't be against. :D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #5

smf, flarum, phpbb, ... - all have their pros and cons

Sorry for my English

Reply #6

Agree with inter 
sorry for my bad english

Reply #7

before i'm using elkarte i already considered flarum, but it still alpha then. but i chose elkarte. :D

*unrelated, but i have a xenforo license and still prefer elkarte for its simplicity. last time i used it the addon system is strange, need to edit file directly. the xenforo default theme is very good though.

Reply #8

By the way, what do you all really like in flarum? And why? That, I think are more important inputs.

Reply #9

it may seem silly, the presentation is very modern for me. i'm judging only by the look of it and liking it. and if you need a discourse like forum but in php then flarum is the only way. vanilla is focusing on the hosted service.

the layout (flarum, vanilla, discourse) is very inviting for joining discussion, you know what is the latest topic just by opening the homepage. so it's very good for a forum with a narrow niche so the categories are not many or still very related. like LowEndTalk, i prefer it better because it easier to follow what's new than vpsboard with the classic layout.

this is a personal opinion. :)

Reply #10

Admittedly the navigation is way cool!  Perhaps an Elk theme could operate in a similar fashion....hhhmmm......

Reply #11

Can make the module "Flarum style" for ElkArte  ;D

Like? bored, something is missing
Last Edit: August 13, 2016, 01:35:51 pm by inter
Sorry for my English

Reply #12

Nice job!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #13

Nice work @inter . Are you planning to make it available ?

Reply #14

From my reading flarum uses mithril.js which is claimed the fastest js. Are we going to use this in the future?