Reply #1

Heck. :P
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Re: PHP 7

Reply #2

We should make it the minimum PHP version for 1.1.  :o
Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion, you must set yourself on fire!

Reply #6

Interesting reading for sure.  

Sidenote ... has anyone played with Zephir?

Reply #7

Nope...
Looks like a sort of compiler for php-like code? I read it quickly, not sure though I understood it correctly... :-[
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #8

It allows you to write in OO php (mostly, there are some differences for sure), Zephir will translate this into C code so you can compile it in to an php extension like bla.so With that done you can add in your php.ini and use in your application.

Like say we redo parse_bbc, we could have it complied in to a parsebbc.so and for sites, that have control over their installs, they could use a complied extension for that function.  

Thats just a crazy example, its really just a cool way to be able to write php extensions without having to know C to do so.

Reply #9

Umm @Spuds ... its more like a code written in PHP, pre compiled in C?

Reply #10

Quote from: Spuds – Thats just a crazy example, its really just a cool way to be able to write php extensions without having to know C to do so.
Interesting! :D
Never had the opportunity tu put my hands on something that allowed me to install my own php extensions, though it can be interesting. nods

emanuele wonders how would ElkArte look like as php extension. LOL
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #11

Quote from: emanuele – Interesting! :D
Never had the opportunity tu put my hands on something that allowed me to install my own php extensions, though it can be interesting. nods

emanuele wonders how would ElkArte look like as php extension. LOL
Well if its possible, it'd be great, as everything will be acting as a plug and play system.

Reply #12

Sorry for necroposting, cannot find any recent topic discussing Elkarte on PHP 7. And this topic is the number 1 on Google. :D

I just want to let you know that I just upgraded from PHP 5.6 to 7.0 and no problem found yet
Code: [Select]
PHP 7.0.23-1~dotdeb+8.1 (cli) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2017 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2017 Zend Technologies
    with Zend OPcache v7.0.23-1~dotdeb+8.1, Copyright (c) 1999-2017, by Zend Technologies

Reply #13

I have no problem with php7.0 too but I do have minor login problem with php7.1. Something to do with session and may be with Multi Tenancy Addon, I think. Otherwise, they are both great version to use with ElkArte.

Reply #14

Quote from: ahrasis – I have no problem with php7.0 too but I do have minor login problem with php7.1. Something to do with session and may be with Multi Tenancy Addon, I think. Otherwise, they are both great version to use with ElkArte.

Same 7.1 issue here as well.  7 works great!