Skip to main content
Topic: New visitor, but Just gotta ask (Read 1896 times) previous topic - next topic

New visitor, but Just gotta ask

I'm an old IPB user, since their version 1.3
I paid for several lifetime licenses, which IPS says they're now retiring (using the argument that version 4 is a new beast, not the same as the old beast). Strange that my first 1.3 LIFETIME board was authorized upgrades through 3.4.9, but not good enough for version 4.X
Anywhoo, I'm looking at new software. vB is a no go, same with Xenforo. I don't mind paying but not for limited upgrades, which is what all paid software is going to. If they don't have a lifetime license with free upgrades, I don't need it.

Now, about Elk. Hitting the landing page from a Google search for "most secure forum software" search, I can't find any buttons or links to a How-to for the software.
I know most young people (I'm, well, over 60, lets say) might automatically know these things, but somewhere on most software sites there's an FAQ/How-To area, list, link, message thread, something for newbies who fell on to the site. As bad as some foreign software sites are, one thing they are usually good at is making the How-Tos as obvious as possible.

Ok, so am I just blind, getting too old or not looking in the right place. Hey, can you help an old man our here?

Re: New visitor, but Just gotta ask

Reply #1

Hi and welcome to ElkArte!

The documentation is not completed yet, you can find something here: https://github.com/ElkArte/ElkArte/wiki
The link is also mentioned on ElkArte home page.

Being a fork of smf you can use the smf documentation (which is more complete compared to elkarte documentation, but not complete enough, because in ElkArte there are some new features that are missing into SMF)  http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Main_Page

If you need other info ask on the forum, I'm pretty sure you will get good answers ;)
sorry for my bad english

Re: New visitor, but Just gotta ask

Reply #2

Welcome to elkarte.net. :)

Quote from: CTalks – I know most young people (I'm, well, over 60, lets say) might automatically know these things, but somewhere on most software sites there's an FAQ/How-To area, list, link, message thread, something for newbies who fell on to the site. As bad as some foreign software sites are, one thing they are usually good at is making the How-Tos as obvious as possible.
The problem is there is not yet an organized guide to the usage.
Someone should really write it, but write documentation is likely one of the most underrated activity of software development... :(

That said, if you have questions feel free to ask them, they (along with the answers) can become the seed for a well written and well organized FAQ page. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.