Skip to main content
Topic: Branding requirements for copyright (Read 2519 times) previous topic - next topic

Branding requirements for copyright

I'm sure this has been asked a million times but did a search and couldn't find an answer and there is nothing in the docs. I'd like to use the software but can't find any policy regarding removal of the powered by attribution at the bottom of the software. I have no issue in giving credit to the authors appropriately but, for the site I'm considering using it on, the branding wouldn't be appropriate (and sometimes the number of developers desiring it gets so great as to be impossible to manage.) So I was hoping that I could obtain some answers as to options. Thank you.

Re: Branding requirements for copyright

Reply #1

Hi slink and welcome. :)

I don't remember seeing this question around, and TBH I didn't think too much about the matter.

From my perspective it would be nice to at least have a working link to the credits page (and a little change to the "ElkArte Forum contributors" adding a link to the site), not necessarily with the word "credits", but even only with an icon or something.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Smf was adding 3 links, elkarte is only adding one, I don't see any reason to remove it ;) if you like the software please spread the word
sorry for my bad english

Reply #3

The license says you can remove the credit from there but it must remain in source.

Reply #4

I'd say the technically correct answer is what @Joshua Dickerson stated, nothing says you have to have the links etc in the footer, so you are free to remove them, the BSD license only requires you leave the source file headers.  Past that, it would be nice (not required) to provide a link back to ElkArte just to help spread the word :D

Reply #5

Regarding the copyright using  <credits> in the package-info.xml file. I want to add two individual copyright credits for the same Addon and have those two names and links appear under Addons in the Credits page.  Attempting to use <credits> twice in the xml file does not work. I have tried a few other convoluted things and those did not work. Is this possible, to use <credits> twice in the package-info.xml file? If not, how can I achieve my goal?

Reply #6

The easiest way would be to use the integration hook for that instead of the <credits> tag

Code: [Select]
// An alternative for addons credits is to use a hook.
call_integration_hook('integrate_credits', array(&$credits));

Then in your integration function do
$credits['credits_addons'][] = 'whatever you want';

which generally follows what the <credits> tag would add
$name .  ' | ' . $license  . ' | ' . $copyright
Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 06:51:00 pm by Spuds

Reply #7

Wonderful! Thank you very much, I will give that a try. :)