Skip to main content
Topic: Reserved Name not honored on registration by Admin (Read 2352 times) previous topic - next topic

Reserved Name not honored on registration by Admin

If an Admin attempts to register someone with a name that is on the reserved list, that list is not honored. That to me, is just wrong.   :D  

Good news is the list is honored on a new registration by a wannabe new member.  

Bad news is that the wannabe new member has the partial email address and password data filled with the admin information.

Re: Reserved Name not honored on registration by Admin

Reply #1

Quote from: Aggelos – If an Admin attempts to register someone with a name that is on the reserved list, that list is not honored. That to me, is just wrong.   :D
An admin, by definition, can do anything.
Being an admin means you can change the list of reserved names.
So, let's imagine Elk does force admins to respect that list, they could just go back to the list, remove the name, register the nick and add again the name to the list.
Same result with two steps more.
Is that a bug? :P

It may be useful a warning: "this is a reserved name" when the admin finishes to type in the name, that could be a nice reminder, just in case.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Well, I see you and Spuds voted 'down' fast.   :)

It is all good really. My view is that not all admins are equal, not all admins are site owners and sites can have more than one admin. There may be a reason one admin or owner reserved a name and that reason not known by another admin. The fact that they should all communicate with each other is not a guarantee.

By virture of being an Admin should not mean that the Admin does not follow some rules put in place. Yes, the Admin can go back and remove the name but that is the point; that is what they should do as well as query other admins about the reserved name.  Simply being an admin should not mean I will do whatever I want, poo on the other admins or owners.     :D

Sometimes a safety net or safety check is needed, to me this is one of those times.  As you mentioned, at least throw up a warning about the reserved name and if the Admin chooses to still use that name then fine. At that point have the software go back and remove the reserved name from the list. Leaving the name in the list could prove fattening or unhealthy in the future.   ;)  

Reply #3

Actually mine was an up vote for:
QuoteIt may be useful a warning: "this is a reserved name" when the admin finishes to type in the name, that could be a nice reminder, just in case.