Skip to main content
Topic: "new" button (Read 1944 times) previous topic - next topic

"new" button

Just an random thought ...

When there is a new message in a topic, we show the new button as a way to jump to the new content.

I wonder if it would also make sense to link the subject text as well.  Today the subject text will take you to the first post, while the small new button which just looks like a icon is what you need to click. 

Second nature to us, but wonder if its intuitive at all.  

Re: "new" button

Reply #1

This gets debated every couple of years. I have always been of the mind that I want the option to see the first post without additional clicks. I think that makes sense, but the newest post is usually the most important to the user. So, instead of clicking the new button, what if there is a link to get to the first post? Maybe "started by" is a link to the first post? Maybe something else.

Reply #2

Those ideas could work as well nods
Quote. I think that makes sense, but the newest post is usually the most important to the user.
I think you hit the most important point with that, its what most users tend to do, and right now its the most hidden (at least until you know about it) ...

Reply #3

Yup!
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #4

I also noticed this behaviour, I was going to ask, for me in unread post the link in title should point to latest unread post. Then I get used with that arrow. A couple of times I used the title to go on first post of topic.
Really don't know which is best, not a big difference for me ;)

IMHO started by is difficult to use from mobile, IMHO could be removed from mobile
sorry for my bad english

Reply #5

Does anyone know offhand what other forums do for linking to "new" posts?

QuoteI was going to ask, for me in unread post the link in title should point to latest unread post.
This is one of the places I was thinking it made most sense, you go to New Posts and you would expect an easy / prominent link to "New Posts" Granted the New does that IF you know about it. 

QuoteIMHO started by is difficult to use from mobile, IMHO could be removed from mobile
You mean the link ... yeah I can see that since its to close to the other link, makes it difficult to touch the right thing.

Reply #6

On xf in "unread posts" the title of topic will bring you at first unread post (not first post of topic)
sorry for my bad english