Skip to main content
Topic: Transifex for Translations? (Read 7438 times) previous topic - next topic

Transifex for Translations?

Hi,
anyone used Transifex so far? I've tested it a little bit for translating ElkArte and it seems to be a very, very helpful tool..
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/elkarte/
It's similar compared to the old SMF language editor with some amazing features (upload entire files, online editor with progress bar ...)

Their web Editor can filter untranslated strings, they track changes from our github repo and such stuff.. And it's free for open source Projects. I've added two test files for now, just in order to play with their tools.

I'd invite you to test it yourself..
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Re: Transifex for Translations?

Reply #1

Registered and sent the request to join the Italian team! :D

It would still be nice to have something "local" just not to force people to have to go and register all around in different services, though let's have a look at it! ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

Yay, added you to the admin group for the Project  :D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #3

Signed up as well ... no idea what I'm doing but it looks cool !

Reply #4

Quote from: Spuds – Signed up as well ... no idea what I'm doing but it looks cool !
yep, have added you as well :)
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #6

yep,

What I tested is: upload an old SMF file, upload the translated german file. Translation was at 100%.

replaced the english (old SMF ) version with the elkarte file..
The result is this:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/elkarte/resource/managesettingsenglishphp

That basically allows us to upload old  SMF 2.0.6 language files and their translations, then replace the english files with the ElkArte files and we'll have a translated version for ElkArte (except those strings which have changed from SMF 2.0 to ElkArte 1.0)
 :D  :D  :D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #7

uploaded the whole language files.. another supercool feature:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/elkarte/language/de/
I haven't touched most of those files, but huhhh ... they are auto-translated if the string is identically in another file. :D
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #8

Quote from: TE – yep,

What I tested is: upload an old SMF file, upload the translated german file. Translation was at 100%.

replaced the english (old SMF ) version with the elkarte file..
The result is this:
https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/elkarte/resource/managesettingsenglishphp

That basically allows us to upload old  SMF 2.0.6 language files and their translations, then replace the english files with the ElkArte files and we'll have a translated version for ElkArte (except those strings which have changed from SMF 2.0 to ElkArte 1.0)
 :D  :D  :D

I'll just note that my language editor mod will do that as well. I'm guessing that the only important thing it lacks is the ability to keep (real) track of revisions which I still regret not having added at the beginning and haven't had any chance to implement later.

Reply #9

It's me or transifex is a bit annoying to use?
I just translated few words, but every time I have to:
1. select a "unit" from the left menu,
2. click to start typing,
3. click save,
4. start from 1.

In [SiNaN]'s editor IIRC it's enough to click in the textarea and you are ready to translate.
It doesn't seem very user-friendly (or at least it looks less "fast" than it could be).
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #10

Quote from: emanuele – It's me or transifex is a bit annoying to use?
I just translated few words, but every time I have to:
nahhh,  it's easier than you actually do:

1) click the string you want to translate
2) type translation
3) press "tab" to save and jump to the next translation
4) restart with 2)

QuoteI'll just note that my language editor mod will do that as well. I'm guessing that the only important thing it lacks is the ability to keep (real) track of revisions which I still regret not having added at the beginning and haven't had any chance to implement later.
oh yes, totally forgot that..  Do we have a test-install somwehere? I'd like to test it too.
Thorsten "TE" Eurich
------------------------

Reply #11

I thought I had sent you the package. It turns out that I haven't. I've just sent a pm with a link to the package.

And I meant synchronizing languages files by "that" in my last post in case it wasn't clear.

Reply #12

Requested for malay language localization.

Reply #13

Approved.
If you want, you can try as first approximation to upload an SMF version of the translation (that should give you about 50% of the strings translated), unless you want to re-do it from scratch. ;D
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #14

Thank you.

Interesting idea. How do I upload that?

Edited: I got that.