Skip to main content
Topic: Converting Elkarte (Read 2252 times) previous topic - next topic

Converting Elkarte

I am curious about Elkarte. As a SMF fan, I haven't used SMF in 2 years but I have been hearing some wonderful things about Elkarte.

I do have a question. I have to do an emergency conversion of my site(Xenforo), and I am looking at elkarte and mybb for a short term thing. Should I not like Elkarte and choose to convert to other platforms, how does that work.

Does elkarte work the same as SMF does. I know different platforms(IPB, XF, VB, etc) have SMF converters. So could I choose a SMF converted to work since there is no elkarte converter?

Re: Converting Elkarte

Reply #1

Hello.

hmm... it may, it may not.

I never tried any converter and I don't know what they are actually converting.
As a rule of thumb, if only members, messages and PMs are converted, it should work (IIRC table and column names are mostly the same). If the converter tries to move other data it may fail or not depending on many factors.
Bugs creator.
Features destroyer.
Template killer.

Reply #2

I've never tried one of the other forum importers to see how they would react to an ElkArte database. 

Many db tables are the same/similar between the two (basic messages, topics, members etc) so they may be recognized and imported by an SMF importer, not sure really, and you may have to trick it as well.  I'm also not sure how those importers/platforms handle passwords, but the ones in ElkArte are very different from SMF so that may be a problem. 

Anyway sounds like ts just a stop gap measure, so you should determine what software you will end up using and then pick the system that that software imports most "fully".  Importers vary from importing some information to almost everything.

Good luck

Reply #3

Mybb works, but it won't import the passwords.